In this communication, a new planar monopole ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with quad notched band characteristics using quad-mode stepped impedance resonator (QMSIR) is investigated. The proposed antenna is composed of a circular-shaped radiating element, a 50 Ω microstrip feed line, a QMSIR, and a partially truncated ground plane. By coupling a QMSIR with an additional outer line beside the microstrip feedline, band-rejected filtering properties around the (5.2/5.8 GHz) WLAN bands and the (7.4/8.2 GHz) satellite communication bands are generated. The measurement of voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR) is in agreement with simulation. The results show that proposed antenna not only retains an ultra-wide bandwidth but also owns quad band-rejections capability. The UWB antenna demonstrates omnidirectional radiation patterns across nearly whole operating bandwidth that is suitable for UWB applications.
2. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M., "Novel wideband planar fractal monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, 3844-3849, 2008.
3. Naser-Moghadasi, M., H. Rousta, and B. S. Virdee, "Compact UWB planar monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1382-1385, 2009.
4. Mazinani, S.-M. and H. R. Hassani, "A novel broadband plate-loaded planar monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1123-1126, 2009.
5. Sun, M., Y. P. Zhang, and Y. Lu, "Miniaturization of planar monopole antenna for ultra-wideband radios," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, 2420-242, 2010.
6. Lee, W.-S., D.-Z. Kim, K.-J. Kim, and J.-W. Yu, "Wideband planar monopole antennas with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 2800-2806, 2006.
7. Chung, K., J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notch function," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, 766-768, 2005.
8. Kim, Y. and D. H. Kwon, "CPW-fed planar ultra-wideband antenna having a frequency band notch functions," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, 403-405, 2004.
9. Yin, K. and J. P. Xu, "Compact ultra-wideband antenna with dual bandstop characteristic," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, 453-454, 2008.
10. Bi, D.-H., Z.-Y. Yu, S.-G. Mo, and X.-C. Yin, "Two new ultra-wideband antennas with 3.4/5.5GHz dual band notched characteristics," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2942-2945, 2009.
11. Dong, Y.-D., et al., "Development of ultrawideband antenna with multiple band-notched characteristics using half mode substrate integrated waveguide cavity technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, 2894-2902, 2008.
12. Elhabchi, M., M. N. Srifi, and R. Touahni, "CPW-fed miniaturized isosceles triangular slot UWB planar antenna with triple band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 87, 59-66, 2019.
13. Cui, L., H. Liu, C. Hao, and X. Sun, "A novel UWB antenna with triple band-notches for WiMAX and WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 82, 101-106, 2019.
14. Zhang, H. and J. Zhao, "A new compact microstrip UWB power divider with triple notched bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 78, 111-117, 2018.
15. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Edition, Ch. 7, 333–337, Wiley, New York, 2005.