In this letter, a methodology for the generation of received irradiance/power time series for a GEO downlink concentrated on small aperture receiver terminals is reported. The synthesizer takes into account the atmospheric phenomena that degrade the propagation of the optical signal and especially the turbulence effects. For modeling the scintillation effects, Kolmogorov spectrum is assumed, and the Rytov's approximation under weak turbulence is also used. The time series are generated using the theory of stochastic differential equations. Finally, the proposed synthesizer is compared in terms of first order statistics with experimental data from the ARTEMIS GEO optical satellite link campaign with very good agreement.
2. Hemmati, H., Near-Earth Laser Communications, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2009.
3. Lyra, N. K., et al., "Cloud attenuation statistics prediction from Ka-band to optical frequencies: Integrated liquid water content field synthesizer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 1, 319-328, Jan. 2017.
4. Lyras, N. K., et al., "Optimum monthly based selection of ground stations for optical satellite networks," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 22, No. 6, 1192-1195, Jun. 2018.
5. Andrews, L. and R. Phillips, Laser Beam Propagation through Random Media, SPIE Press, 2005.
6. Alonso, A., M. Reyes, and Z. Sodnik, "Performance of satellite-to-ground communications link between ARTEMIS and the optical ground station," Proc. SPIE 5572, Optics in Atmospheric Propagation and Adaptive Systems VII, Vol. 5572, 372, 2004.
7. Toyoshima, M., et al., "Long-term statistics of laser beam propagation in an optical ground-to-geostationary satellite communications link," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 2, 842-850, Feb. 2005.
8. Yura, H. T. and W. G. McKinley, "Aperture averaging of scintillation for space-to-ground optical communications," Applied Optics, Vol. 22, No. 11, 1608-1609, 1983.
9. Shao, Y., "The fractional Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process as a representation of homogeneous eulerian velocity turbulence," Physica D, Vol. 83, No. 4, 461-477, 1995.