A simple, small-sized, printed monopole antenna loaded with a chip inductor for achieving dual-band operation in notebook computers is introduced. The design consisted of a simple 5 GHz monopole, a chip inductor, and a tuning end portion. With the inductor inserted at the end of the 5 GHz monopole and connected to the tuning portion, the lower band resonance in the 2.4 GHz band can be attained, together with a reduced design footprint for 2.4 GHz operation. The frequency ratio of the upper and lower bands were also controllable by inductance values. The results showed that the antenna was capable of operating in 2.4 GHz (2400-2484 MHz) and 5 GHz (5150-5825 MHz) wireless local area network (WLAN) bands and yet occupied a small size of 5 mm × 12 mm (about 0.04l × 0.09l at 2.4 GHz) only.
2. Kang, T. W. and K. L. Wong, "Very small size printed monopole with embedded chip inductor for 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN laptop computer antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, 171-177, 2010.
3. Sim, C. Y. D., C. C. Chen, X. Y. Zhang, Y. L. Lee, and C. Y. Chiang, "Very small-size uniplanar printed monopole antenna for dual-band WALN laptop computer applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 65, 2916-2992, 2017.
4. Su, S. W., Y. T. Hsieh, and S. C. Chen, "Integration of very-low-profile slot antenna into notebook metal cover with narrow bezel," Proc. Int. Symposium on Antennas and Propagat., 1-2, Phuket, Thailand, 2017.
5. Su, S. W., "Very-low-profile, 2.4/5-GHz WLAN monopole antenna for large screen-to-body-ratio notebook computers," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, 1313-1318, 2018.
6. Su, S. W., C. T. Lee, and S. C. Chen, "Compact, printed, tri-band loop antenna with capacitively-driven feed and end-loaded inductor for notebook computers," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 6692-6699, 2018.
7. Su, S. W., "Capacitor-inductor-loaded, small-sized loop antenna for WLAN notebook computers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 71, 179-188, 2018.
8. Wong, K. L. and S. C. Chen, "Printed single-strip monopole using a chip inductor for penta-band WWAN operation in the mobile phone," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 58, 1011-1014, 2011.
9. Lee, C. T. and S. W. Su, "Tri-band, stand-alone, PIFA with parasitic, inverted-L plate and vertical ground wall for WLAN applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 1797-1803, 2011.
10. ANSYS HFSS, ANSYS Inc., , https://www.ansys.com/Products/Electronics/ANSYS-HFSS.
11. SG 64, SATIMO, , http://www.mvg-world.com/en/products/field product family/antenna-measurement-2/sg-64.
12. Volakis, J. L., Antenna Engineering Handbook, 4th Ed., Chapter 6, 16-19, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2007.
13. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Chapter 2, Wiley, Hoboken, 2NJ, 012.