The current wireless technology demands wide frequency operation, like WLAN 5GHz band, which requires 12.75% frequency bandwidth. In this paper, a unit cell metamaterial structure is proposed, which consists of 4 compact bend triangular resonators (CBTRs) that offer wideband frequency rejection. The single negative metamaterial based resonators give band rejection response, but it is generally bandwidth limited. With the proposed unit cell, rejection bandwidth of 16.78% for rejection level of -12 dB is achieved. It can be further increased by increasing the order of unit cells. The proposed unit cell structure is analyzed for the resonant frequency of 5.5 GHz, and the design is suitable for the application where 15% or more rejection band is required.
2. Smith, D. R. and N. Kroll, "Negative refractive index in left-handed materials," Phys. Rev. Letter., Vol. 85, No. 14, 4184-4187, 2000.
3. Cory, H. and A. Barger, "Surface wave propagation along a metamaterial slab," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 38, No. 5, 392-395, Sep. 5, 2003.
4. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics Uspekhi, Vol. 10, 4, Jan.–Feb. 1968.
5. Wartak, M. S., K. L. Tsakmakidis, and O. Hess, "Introduction to metamaterials," Physics in Canada, Vol. 67, No. 1, Jan.–Mar. 2011.
6. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, J. D. Baena, and R. Marques, "Effective negative-ε stopband microstrip lines based on complementary split ring resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 14, No. 6, 280-282, Jun. 2004.
7. Jegadeesan, S., J. Vijayakrishnan, N. Chandrasekar, and S. Gnanasundar, "Design of compact Ultra Wide Bandpass Filter (UWBPF) with metamaterial — Comparison between different CSRRs," 3rd International Conference on Signal Processing, Communication and Networking (ICSCN), 1-6, Chennai, 2015.
8. Habashi, A., J. Nourinia, and C. Ghobadi, "Mutual coupling reduction between very closely spaced patch antennas using low-profile Folded Split-Ring Resonators (FSRRs)," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 862-865, 2011.
9. Baena, J. D., et al., "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary splitring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, Apr. 2005.
10. Naskar, M. A., M. Tamrakar, and D. Thiripurasundari, "Compact ‘V’ shaped metamaterial based resonator for wide band rejection," 2017 International Conference on Nextgen Electronic Technologies: Silicon to Software (ICNETS2), 88-91, Chennai, 2017.
11. Chen, X., et al., "Robust method to retrieve the constitutive effective parameters of metamaterials," Physical Review, E, Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter Physics, Vol. 70, No. 1, Pt. 2, 016608, 2004.
12. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, J. D. Baena, R. Marques, F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "Effective negative-/spl epsiv/ stopband microstrip lines based on complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 6, 280-282, Jun. 2004.
13. George, B., N. S. Bhuvana, and S. K. Menon, "Design of edge coupled open loop metamaterial filters," 2017 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium — Spring (PIERS), 2483-2488, St. Petersburg, 2017.
14. Hammad, Y. T., M. A. Abdalla, and A. F. Daw, "A compact band stop filter with sharp stopband response using D-CRLH configuration," 12th International Congress on Artificial Materials for Novel Wave Phenomena (Metamaterials), 004-006, 2018.
15. Abessolo, M. A. A., Y. Diallo, A. Jaoujal, A. Moussaoui, and N. Aknin, "Stop-band filter using a new metamaterial Complementary Split Triangle Resonators (CSTRs)," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 28, No. 4, 353-358, 2013.
16. Atallah, H. and E. Hamad, "Compact CSRRs-based metamaterial band stop filter with controlled rejection band," IEEE — New Paradigms in Electronics and Information Technologies (PEIT011) International Conference, Alexandria, Egypt, Oct. 2011.
17. Sassi, I., L. Talbi, and K. Hettak, "Compact multi-band filter based on multi-ring complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 57, 127-135, 2015.