In this work, a simple propagation channel model for microwave-based pinless subsea connectors in the 5 GHz band is presented. Both high electromagnetic attenuation in seawater due to absorption and the near-field working conditions typically present for underwater connectors are taken into consideration. Therefore, a simplified path loss model based on linear regression is identified. The study shows that high-speed pinless subsea connectors are a reality over several cm of seawater gap when appropriate microwave receiver technology is selected with sensitivities of about -100 dBm. Experimental results show that both half-duplex gigabits-per-second and full-duplex 100-Mbps technologies have a strong potential to be developed in the 5 GHz band.
2. Li, X., Y. Sun, Y. Guo, X. Fu, and M. Pan, "Dolphins first: Dolphin-aware communications in multi-hop underwater cognitive acoustic networks," IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communication, Vol. 16, No. 4, 2043-2056, Apr. 2017.
3. Li, X., Y. Sun, Y. Guo, X. Fu, and M. Pan, "A survey of underwater optical wireless communications," IEEE Communication Surveys and Tutorials, Vol. 19, No. 1, 204-238, 2017.
4. Granger, R. P., C. M. Baer, N. H. Gabriel, J. J. Labosky, and T. C. Galford, "Non-contact wet mateable connectors for power and data transmission," Oceans 2013, 1-4, San Diego, Sep. 23-27, 2013.
5. Ciamulski, T., "Microwave technology for pinless connectors," Oceanology International, London, Excel, UK, Mar. 11-13, 2014.
6. Massaccesi, A. and P. Pirinoli, "Analysis of underwater EM propagation for scuba diving communication systems," IEEE European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, Apl. 2016.
7. Fukuda, H., N. Kobayashi, K. Shizuno, S. Yoshida, M. Tanomura, and Y. Hama, "New concept of an electromagnetic usage for contactless communication and power transmission in the ocean," IEEE International Underwater Technology Symposium, 1-4, Tokyo, Japan, Mar. 2013.
8. Che, X., I. Wells, G. Dickers, P. Kear, and X. Gong, "Re-evaluation of RF electromagnetic communication in underwater sensor networks," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 48, 143-151, 2010.
9. Park, D., K. Kwak, W. K. Chung, and J. Kim, "Development of underwater distance sensor using EMwave attenuation," IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 5125-5130, May 6-10, 2013.
10. Palmeiro, A., M. Martin, I. Crowther, and M. Rhodes, "Underwater radio frequency communications," Oceans 2011, 1-8, Santander, Spain, Jun. 2011.
11. Al-Shamma’a, A. I., A. Shaw, and S. Saman, "Propagation of electromagnetic waves at MHz frequencies through seawater," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2843-2849, 2004.
12. Sendra, S., J. Lloret, J. J. P. C. Rodrigues, and J. M. Aguiar, "Underwater wireless communications in freshwater at 2.4 GHz," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 17, No. 9, 1794-1797, Sep. 2013.
13. Mendez, H. F. G., F. Le Pennec, C. Gac, and C. Person, "High performance underwater UHF radio antenna development," Oceans 2011, 1-4, Spain, 2011.
14. Bokenfohr, M. and T. Ciamulski, "Underwater connector arrangement,", UK Patent GB 2504018, Dec. 2, 2014.
15. Reyes-Guerrero, J. C., M. Bokenfohr, and T. Ciamulski, "On signal attenuation at microwaves frequencies underwater," Proceedings of the International Conference on Underwater Networks and Sytems, article No. 30, 2014.
16. Reyes-Guerrero, J. C. and T. Ciamulski, "Influence of temperature on signal attenuation at microwaves frequencies underwater," Oceans 2015, 1-4, Genova, May 18-21, 2015.
17. Teixeira, F., P. Freitas, L. Pessoa, R. Campos, and M. Ricardo, "Evaluation of IEEE 802.11 underwater networks operating at 700 MHz, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz," Proceedings of the International Conference on Underwater Networks and Systems, article No. 11, 2014.
18. Yadav, S. and V. Kumar, "Optimal clustering in underwater wireless sensor networks: Acoustic, EM and FSO communication compliant technique," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, No. 9, 12761-12776, Jul. 2017.
19. Dargie, W. and C. Poellabauer, Fundamentals of Wireless Sensor Networks: Theory and Practice, John Wiley and Sons, 2010.
20. Jiang, S. and S. Georgakopoulos, "Electromagnetic wave propagation into fresh water," Journal of Electromagnetic Analysis and Applications, Vol. 3, 261-266, 2011.
21. Hunt, K., J. Niemeier, and A. Kruger, "RF communications in underwater wireless sensor networks ," IEEE International Conference on Electro/Information Technology (EIT), 198, Karagianni, 2010.
22. Kulhandjian, H., L. C. Kuo, T. Melodia, and D. A. Pados, "Towards experimental evaluation of software-defined underwater networked systems," Proc. of IEEE Underwater Communications Conf. and Workshop (UComms), Sestri Levante, Italy, 2012.
23. Stuntebeck, E., D. Pompili, and T. Melodia, "Wireless under-ground sensor networks using commodity terrestrial motes," 2nd IEEE Workshop on Wireless Mesh Networks, 2006.
24. Nistazakis, H. E., G. S. Tombras, A. D. Tsigopoulos, E. A. Karagianni, and M. E. Fafalios, "Average and outage capacity estimation of optical wireless communication systems over weak turbulence channels," Mosharaka International Conference on Communications, Propagation and Electronics, MIC-CPE, 2009.
25. Liu, L., S. Zhou, and J. Cui, "Prospects and problems of wireless communication for underwater sensor networks," Wireless Communication & Mobile Computing, Vol. 8, No. 8, 977-994, Oct. 2008.
26. Elrashidi, A., A. Elleithy, M. Albogame, and K. Elleithy, "Underwater wireless sensor network communication using electromagnetic waves at resonance frequency 2.4 GHz," Proceedings of the 15th Communications and Networking Simulation Symposium, No. 13, Orlando, Florida, March 26-30, 2012.
27. Hattab, G., M. El-Tarhuni, M. Al-Ali, T. Joudeh, and N. Qaddoumi, "An underwater wireless sensor network with realistic radio frequency path loss model," International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, 2013.
28. Rhodes, M., "Electromagnetic propagation in seawater and its value in military systems," SEAS DTC Technical Conference, Edinburg, UK, 2007.
29. Singh, K., Y. Kumar, and S. Singh, "A modified bow tie antenna with U-shape slot for wireless applications," International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 10, Oct. 2012.
30. Yurduseven, O., D. Smith, N. Pearsall, and I. Forbes, "A solar cell stacked slot-loaded suspended microstrip patch antenna with multiband resonance characteristics for WLAN and WMAX systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 142, 321-332, 2013.
31. Marantis, L. and P. Brennan, "A CPW-fed bow-tie slot antenna with tuning stub," Antennas & Propagation Conference, Loughborough, UK, Mar. 17-18, 2008.
32. Meissner, T. and F. J. Wentz, "The complex dielectric constant of pure and sea water from microwave satellite observations," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 42, No. 9, 1836-1849, Sep. 2004.
33. Rappaport, T. S., Wireless Communications: Principles and Practice, 2nd Ed., Prentice Hall PTR, Upper Saddle River, N.J., 2002.