A conformal wideband antenna is investigated and compared with its planar counterpart. First, a planar U-slot patch with about 43% fractional impedance bandwidth is designed. Then, it is mounted on a conformal cylindrical structure. It is observed that the fractional impedance bandwidth of the resulting conformal antenna increases to 50%, when it is bent along the H-plane. It is also found that the cross polarization discrimination of the antenna is improved. The effects of the arc angle and radius of the cylinder on the impedance bandwidth and radiation characteristics of the antenna are extensively studied. The conformal antenna was fabricated on a thin film of Kapton and tested. The measured and simulated results closely resembled each other.
2. Huynh, T. and K.-F. Lee, "Single-layer single-patch wideband microstrip antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 16, 1310-1312, Aug. 1995.
3. Weigand, S., G. H. Huff, K. H. Pan, and J. T. Bernhard, "Analysis and design of broad-band single-layer rectangular U-slot microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 3, 457-468, Mar. 2003.
4. Tong, K.-F., K.-M. Luk, K.-F. Lee, and R. Q. Lee, "A broad-band U-slot rectangular patch antenna on a microwave substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 6, 954-960, Jun. 2000.
5. Salonen, P. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Textile antennas: Effects of antenna bending on input matching and impedance bandwidth," IEEE Aerosp. Electron. Syst. Mag., 10-14, Mar. 2007.
6. Song, L. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A systematic investigation of rectangular patch antenna bending effects for wearable applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 5, 2219-2228, May 2018.
7. Liu, F.-X., T. Kaufmann, Z. Xu, and C. Fumeaux, "Wearable applications of quarter-wave patch and half-mode cavity antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1478-1481, 2015.
8. Ashyap, A., Z. Abidin, S. Dahlan, H. Majid, M. Kamarudin, G. Oguntala, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, and J. Noris, "Inverted E-shaped wearable textile antenna for medical applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 35214-35222, Jun. 2018.
9. Macon, C. A., K. D. Trott, and L. C. Kempel, "A practical approach to modeling doubly curved conformal microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 40, 295-314, 2003.
10. Krowne, C. M., "Cylindrical-rectangular microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 31, No. 1, 194-199, Jan. 1983.
11. Luk, K., K.-F. Lee, and J. S. Dahele, "Analysis of the cylindrical rectangular patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 37, No. 2, 143-147, Feb. 1989.
12., "ANSYS high frequency electromagnetic field simulator HFSS (version 18.1),", Canonsburg, PA.
13. Ludwig, A., "The definition of cross polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 21, No. 1, 116-119, Jan. 1973.