In this letter, a tuning fork shaped, differential dipole antenna, with two floating reflectors, is presented. The dipole antenna resonates at 1.22 GHz and has a fractional bandwidth (FBW) of 16.39% and a differential impedance of 100 Ω. The proposed antenna is composed of quarter wavelength tuning fork shaped dipole arms in the top layer. To improve robustness, while connecting to the differential circuits, two floating reflectors are used on the bottom layer, beneath the dipole arm. This method helps improving the gain by 7%. A microstrip-to-coplanar strip line (CPS) transition is designed to measure the stand-alone differential antenna. The measured gain and efficiency of the antenna are 2.14 dBi and 84%, respectively, at the resonant frequency. The possible targeted applications are circuits with differential inputs/outputs, like energy harvesting circuits, radio frequency tags, wireless communications and any other wireless sensor network nodes. Details of the design along with simulated and experimental results are presented and discussed.
2. Xue, Q., X. Zhang, and C. H. Chin, "A novel differential fed patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, No. 1, 471-474, 2006.
3. Scorcioni, S., L. Larcher, and A. Bertacchini, "A reconfigurable differential CMOS RF energy scavenger with 60% peak efficiency and 21 dBm sensitivity," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 3, 155-157, 2013.
4. Powell, J. and A. Chandrakasan, "Differential and single ended elliptical antennas for 3.1-10.6 GHz ultra-wideband communication," IEEE Antennas Propag. Symposium, Vol. 3, 2935-2938, 2004.
5. Schantz, H., "Planar elliptical element ultra-wideband dipole antennas," IEEE Antennas Propag. Symposium, Vol. 3, 44, 2002.
6. Liu, N. W., L. Zhu, W. W. Choi, and J. D. Zhang, "A differential fed microstrip patch antenna with bandwidth enhancement under operation of TM10 and TM30 modes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 4, 1607-1614, 2007.
7. Zhang, H. and H. Xin, "A dual band dipole antenna with integrated balun," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 3, 786-789, 2009.
8. Pepe, D., L. Vallozi, H. Rogier, and D. Zito, "Planar differential antenna for short range UWB pulse radar sensor," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1527-1530, 2013.
9. Liu, N. W., L. Zhu, W. W. Choi, and J. D. Zhang, "A novel differential fed patch antenna on stepped impedance resonator with enhanced bandwith under dual resonance," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 11, 4618-4625, 2016.
10. Tang, Z., J. Liu, and Y. Yin, "Enhanced cross polarization discrimination of wideband differentially fed dual polarized antenna via a shorting loop," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 8, 1454-1458, 2018.
11. Le, T., K. Mayaram, and T. Fiez, "Efficient far field energy harvesting for passively powered sensor networks," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 43, No. 5, 1287-1302, 2008.
12. Arrawatia, M., M. S. Bhaghni, and G. Kumar, "Differential microstrip antenna for energy harvesting," IEEE. Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 4, 1581-1588, 2015.
13. Liu, Y. Y. and Z. H. Tu, "Differential enhanced broadband dual polarized printed dipole antenna for base stations," Microwave and Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 58, No. 12, 2864-2868, 2016.
14. Xie, J.-J. and Q. Song, "Wideband dual-polarized dipole antenna with differential feeds," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 59, 43-49, 2016.
15. Electrical Specifications Data Sheet, , [online], available at www.markimicrowave.com.
16. Gadhafi, R. and M. Sanduleanu, "A modified Patch Antenna with square-open loop resonator slot for improved bandwidth performance for in WiFi applications," Adv. in Science, Tech. and Engineering Systems J., Vol. 2, No. 3, 1467-1471, 2017.