A novel beam scanning microstrip leaky wave antenna based on liquid crystal material is proposed in this paper. Based on the dielectric anisotropy of the liquid crystal, the main beam angle of the antenna pattern can be easily adjusted with the changing of external bias voltages. Good agreement between simulated and measured results is found for the presented leaky wave antenna. Both the simulation and test frequencies of the antenna are set at 12 GHz. Besides, the measured data show that when the dielectric constant of the liquid crystal changes from 2.4 to 2.52, about 10 degrees tuning range of the main beam angle is achieved.
2. Saraswat, R. K. and M. Kumar, "Miniaturized slotted ground UWB antenna loaded with metamaterial for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 65, 65-80, 2016.
3. Scattone, F., M. Ettorre, B. Eddo, R. Sauleau, and N. J. G. Fonseca, "Truncated leaky-wave antenna with cosecant-squared radiation pattern," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 5, 841-844, 2018.
4. Ma, S., F.-L. Zhang, F.-Y. Meng, and Q.Wu, "Electrically controlled leaky wave antenna with wide-angle scanning based on liquid crystal," IEEE International Conference on Electronic Information and Communication Technology, 603-605, 2016.
5. Nose, T., et al., "High-frequency performance extending to millimeter-waves in inverted-microstrip-line-type LC phase shifter," Emerging Liquid Crystal Technologies Viii, Vol. 8642, 2013.
6. Follmann, R., et al., "Liquid-Sky-A tunable liquid crystal filter for space applications," Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), 2013 IEEE-APS Topical Conference on IEEE, 90-93, 2013.
7. Luxey, C. and J. M. Latheurte, "Simple design of dual-beam leaky-wave antennas in microstrips," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 144, No. 6, 397-402, 1997.
8. Henry, R. and M. Okoniewski, "A broadside scanning substrate integrated waveguide periodic phase-reversal leaky-wave antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 602-605, 2016.
9. Yau, D., N. V. Shuley, and L. O. McMillan, "Characteristics of microstrip leaky wave antenna using the method of moments," IEEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 146, No. 5, 324-328, October 1999.
10. Yazdanpanahi, M., et al., "Measurement of dielectric constants of nematic liquid crystals at mm-wave frequencies using patch resonator," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation & Measurement, Vol. 59, No. 12, 3079-3085, 2010.