A dual-band two-element Multiple-Input-Multiple-Output (MIMO) antenna for Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) applications is proposed in this paper. The MIMO antenna consists of two closely arranged symmetric monopole antennas with edge-to-edge distance of only 5.3 mm (0.044λ at 2.51 GHz). To enhance isolation, a decoupling network is inserted between the two antennas without increasing the footprint. The -10 dB impedance bandwidths in lower and higher frequency bands are 2.46-2.7 GHz and 5.04-5.5 GHz. Compared to previous works, the presented decoupling structure can obtain higher isolation over 30 dB in dual bands. Measured results agree well with the simulated ones.
2. Palandoken, M., "Arti¯cial materials based microstrip antenna design," Microstrip Antennas, InTech, ISBN: 978-953-307-247-0, 2011.
3. Li, J. F., Q. X. Chu, and T. G. Huang, "A compact wideband MIMO antenna with two novel bent slits," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 60, 482-489, 2012.
4. Chiu, C. Y., C. H. Cheng, R. D. Murch, and C. R. Rowell, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1732-1738, Jun. 2007.
5. Nandi, S. and A. Mohan, "A compact dual-band MIMO slot antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2457-2460, 2017.
6. Su, S. W., C. T. Lee, and F. S. Chang, "Printed MIMO-antenna systems using neutralization-line technique for wireless USB-dongle applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 456-463, 2012.
7. Wang, Y. and Z.-W. Du, "A wideband printed dual-antenna with three neutralization lines for mobile terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 3, 1495-1499, Mar. 2014.
8. Ling, X. and R. Li, "A novel dual-band MIMO antenna array with low mutual coupling for portable wireless devices," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1039-1042, 2011.
9. Mak, A. C. K., C. R. Rowell, and R. D. Murch, "Isolation enhancement between two closely packed antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 11, 3411-3419, Nov. 2008.
10. Lau, B. K. and J. B. Andersen, "Simple and e±cient decoupling of compact arrays with parasitic scatterers," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 464-472, Feb. 2012.
11. Li, R. P., P. Wang, Q. Zheng, and R. Z. Wu, "Compact microstrip decoupling and matching network for two symmetric antennas," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 18, 1396-1398, 2015.
12. Zhao, L., L. K. Yeung, and K.-L. Wu, "A coupled resonator decoupling network for two-element compact antenna arrays in mobile terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 5, 482-489, 2014.
13. Khan, M. S., M. F. Shafique, A. Naqvi, A. D. Capobianco, B. Ijaz, and B. D. Braaten, "A miniaturized dual-band diversity antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 958-961, 2015.
14. Xue, C.-D., X.-Y. Zhang, Y.-F. Cao, Z.-J. Hou, and C.-F. Ding, "MIMO antenna using hybrid electric and magnetic coupling for isolation enhancement," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 10, 5162-5170, 2017.
15. Sharawi, M.-S., A.-B. Numan, M.-U. Khan, and D.-N. Aloi, "A dual-element dual-band MIMO antenna system with enhanced isolation for mobile terminals," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1006-1009, 2012.
16. Li, Q. L., S. W. Cheung, D. Wu, and T. I. Yuk, "Optically transparent dual-band MIMO antenna using micro-metal mesh conductive film for WLAN system," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 920-923, 2017.
17. Cheung, S.-W., Q.-L. Li, D. Wu, C.-F. Zhou, and B. Wang, "Defected ground structure with two resonances for decoupling of dual-band MIMO antenna," IEEE International Symposium on AP-S&/USNC/URSI, 1645-1646, 2017.
18. Khan, M. S., M. F. Shafique, A. D. Capobianco, E. Autizi, I. Shoaib, and I. Ali, "Compact UWB-MIMO antenna array with a floating digitated decoupling structure," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 10, 747-753, Mar. 2014.