A novel and compact triple-band Y-shaped monopole antenna with dual-polarization characteristics is proposed. The antenna is composed of a partial ground and a microstrip-fed radiating patch that consists of two unequal monopole arms and a circle monopole. The antenna is able to generate three separate impedance bandwidths of 230 MHz (2.30-2.53 GHz), 170 MHz (3.38-3.55 GHz), and 4170 MHz (4.35-8.52 GHz), which can cover both of the WLAN bands (2.4 and 5.8 GHz) and WiMAX band (3.5 GHz). By utilizing different lengths of monopoles, two circularly polarized bands at 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz are realized. Moreover, the antenna exhibits monopole-like radiation patterns and stable antenna gains across the operating bands. The effect of the antenna's key structural parameters on its performance was also analyzed.
2. Li, X., Y. F.Wang, X.W. Shi, W. Hu, and L. Chen, "Compact triple-band antenna with rectangular ring for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 2, 286-289, 2012.
3. Rezaeieh, S. A., "Dual band dual sense circularly polarized monopole antenna for GPS and WLAN applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 22, 1212-1214, 2011.
4. Song, X., "Small CPW-fed triple band microstrip monopole antenna for WLAN applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 3, 747-749, 2009.
5. Naser-Moghadasi, M., R. Sadeghzadeh, L. Asadpor, and B. S. Virdee, "A small dual-band CPW-fed monopole antenna for GSM and WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 508-511, 2013.
6. Koley, S. and D. Mitra, "A planar microstrip-fed tri-band filtering antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 1, 233-237, 2015.
7. Kang, L., X. H. Wang, H. Li, and X. W. Shi, "Planar monopole antenna with a compact radiator for tri-band applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 3, 706-709, 2015.
8. Zhang, X. Q., Y. C. Jiao, and W. H. Wang, "Compact wide tri-band slot antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 2, 64-65, 2012.
9. Zhu, J., M. A. Antoniades, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A compact tri-band monopole antenna with single-cell metamaterial loading," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1031-1038, 2010.
10. Chen, W.-F., D. Yu, S.-X. Gong, and , "An omnidirectional triple-band circular patch antenna based on open elliptical-ring slots and the shorting vias," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 150, 197-203, 2015.
11. Jou, C. F., J. W. Wu, and C. J. Wang, "Novel broadband monopole antenna with dual-band circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 1027-1034, 2009.
12. Chen, C. and E. K. N. Yung, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly-polarized CPW-fed slot antenna with two spiral slots loaded," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 6, 1829-1833, 2009.
13. Huang, S. S., J. Li, and J. Z. Zhao, "Design of a compact triple-band monopole planar antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 48, 29-35, 2014.