In this paper, a miniaturized Vivaldi antenna for C- to X-bands is proposed and fabricated. An H-Shaped Resonator (HSR) and transverse slot structures are employed in this design, which improve the gain through the entire band, especially at the higher frequency band. These simulated results show that the modified Vivaldi antenna has a maximum gain increment of 4 dBi and maximum gain of 9.9 dBi. Furthermore, the modified Vivaldi antenna has narrower half-power beam width (HPBW), higher front-to-back ratio (FBR) and better radiation characteristics. The proposed antenna is fabricated and measured to validate the design. The measured results are in good agreement with the simulated ones.
2. In, D. M., et al., "Antipodal linearly tapered slot antenna using unequal half-circular defected sides for gain improvements," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 8, No. 54, 1963-1965, 2012.
3. Hood, A. Z., T. Karacolak, and E. Topsakal, "A small antipodal Vivaldi antenna for ultrawide-band application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 656-660, 2008.
4. Abayaje, F. and P. Febvre, "A customized reduced size antipodal Vivaldi antenna used in wireless baseband transmission for short-range communication," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, 1684-1691, 2016.
5. Reid, E. W., L. Ortiz-Balbuena, A. Ghadiri, and K. Moez, "A 324-element Vivaldi antenna array for radio astronomy instrumentation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 1, 241-249, 2012.
6. Liu, H.-X., J. Gao, S.-J. Li, and D. Zhang, "Y-shaped aperture loaded miniaturized ultra-wide band Vivaldi endfire antenna," Journal of Air Force Engineering University (Natural Science Edition), Vol. 16, No. 2, 73-77, 2015.
7. Wang, H., S.-F. Liu, L. Chen, W.-T. Li, and X.-W. Shi, "Gain enhancement for broadband vertical planar printed antenna with H-shaped resonator structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, 4411-4415, 2014.
8. Herzi, R., H. Zairi, and A. Gharsallah, "Reconfigurable Vivaldi antenna with improved gain for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, 490-494, 2016.
9. Ziolkowski, R. W., "Design, fabrication, and testing of double negative metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, 1516-1529, 2003.
10. Smith, D. R., D. C. Vier, T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Electromagnetic parameter retrieval from inhomogeneous metamaterials," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 71, 036617, 2005.
11. Chen, L. and X. Shi, "Study on high-gain and directional antennas based on metamaterials,", XiDian University, Xi’an, 2015.
12. Bai, J., S. Shi, and D. W. Prather, "Modified compact antipodal Vivaldi antenna for 4-50-GHz application," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1051-1057, 2011.