In this paper a method for a fast synthesis of planar, maximally thinned and steerable arrays is proposed and tested on several benchmarks available in literature. The method optimizes simultaneously the weight coefficients and sensor positions of a planar array without using global optimization schemes, properly exploiting convex optimization based algorithms. The resulting arrays are able to radiate a steerable beam pattern, satisfying a prescribed power mask and avoid to constraint the fitting of any a priori assigned reference field pattern. Although such a method takes into account the general case of sparse arrays, this letter is focused on the case of thinned arrays as a special case of sparse ones, since the initial grid to thin on has only half-wavelength distances. Such a feature allows a faster synthesis than in the general case of sparse arrays.
2. Prisco, G., M. D'Urso, and R. M. Tumolo, "Maximally sparse, steerable and nonsuperdirective array antennas via convex optimizations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 9, 3840-3849, September 2016.
3. Hansen, C., Phased Array Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1998.
4. Candes, E. J., M. Wakin, and S. Boyd, "Enhancing sparsity by reweighted ℓ1 minimization," Journal of Fourier Analysis and Application, Vol. 14, No. 5, 877-905, special issue on sparsity, December 2008.
5. Nai, S. E., et al., "Beam pattern synthesis for linear and planar arrays with antenna selection by convex optimization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3923-3930, 2010.
6. Land, A. H. and A. G. Doig, "An automatic method of solving discrete programming problems," Econometrica, Vol. 28, No. 3, 497-520, July 1960.
7. Narendra, P. M. and K. Fukunaga, "A branch and bound algorithm for feature subset selection," IEEE Trans. Computers, Vol. 26, No. 9, 917-922, September 1977.
8. Gomory, R. E., "Outline of an algorithm for integer solutions to linear programs," Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, Vol. 64, 275-278, 1958.
9. Bixby, R. E., "A brief history of linear and mixed integer programming computation," Documenta Math., 2010.
10. Junger, M., T. Liebling, D. Naddef, G. Nemhauser, W. Pulleyblank, G. Reinelt, and G. Rinaldi, 50 Years of Integer Programming 1958-2008, From early years to ther State-of-the-art, Springer-Verlag Editor, Berlin-Heidelberg, 2010.
11. Haupt, R. L., "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 42, No. 7, 993-999, July 1994.
12. Ha, B. V., M. Mussetta, P. Pirinoli, and R. E. Zich, "Modified compact genetic algorithm for thinned array synthesis," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 2016.
13. Trucco, A., "Thinning and weighting of large planar arrays by simulated annealing," IEEE Trans. Ultrason., Ferroelectr., Freq. Control., Vol. 46, No. 2, 347-355, March 1999.
14. Trucco, A. and V. Murino, "Stochastic optimization of linear sparse arrays," IEEE J. Ocean. Eng., Vol. 24, No. 3, 291-299, July 1999.
15. Oscar, Q. and E. Jajo, "Ant colony optimization in thinned array synthesis with minimum sidelobe level," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 349-352, 2006.
16. Mosca, S. and M. Ciattaglia, "Ant colony optimization to design thinned arrays," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 4675-4678, July 9-14, 2006.
17. Tropp, J. and S. Wright, "Computational methods for sparse solution of linear inverse problems," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 98, No. 6, 948-958, June 2010.
18. Oliveri, G. and A. Massa, "Bayesian compressive sampling for pattern synthesis with maximally sparse non-uniform linear arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 2, 467-481, February 2011.
19. Oliveri, G., M. Carlin, and A. Massa, "Complex-weight sparse linear array synthesis by Bayesian compressive sampling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 5, 2309-2326, May 2012.
20. Viani, F., G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "Compressive sensing pattern matching techniques for synthesizing planar sparse arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 9, 4577-4587, September 2013.