A compact ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter with high selectivity and deep notched band attenuation is presented in this letter. The main structure of this filter is a balun-based coplanar waveguide (CPW)-microstrip-CPW transition. This structure has UWB bandpass characteristic (2.85-11 GHz) and a transmission zero at its lower transition band. To achieve a transmission zero at its upper transition band, some complementary split ring resonators (CSRR) are added in the ground of microstrip. Therefore, this filter, whose skirt factor is 89%, presents high selectivity. Then, a notched band is created by short-ended stubs for 5.5 GHz WLAN. Owing to the stepped impedance characteristic of these stubs, this filter achieves -41 dB deep notch in its S21. Besides, the size of the whole filter is only 0.38λg*0.45λg. The simulated and measured results agree well with each other.
2. Wang, K., S. W. Wong, and Q. X. Chu, "A compact UWB CPW bandpass filter with short-ended H-shaped resonator and controllable notched band," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 7, 1577-1581, 2013.
3. Zhu, H. and Q. X. Chu, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with a notch-band using stub-loaded ring resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett, Vol. 23, No. 7, 341-343, 2013.
4. Karimi, G., F. K. Hamedani, and H. Siahkamari, "Compact UWB BPF using slotted resonator with an independently controllable notched band," Int. J. Microw. Wireless Technol., Vol. 8, No. 1, 25-31, 2016.
5. Mirzaee, M., B. S. Virdee, and S. Noghanian, "Compact ultra-wideband bandpass filter with variable notch characteristics based on transversal signal-interaction concepts," International Journal of Rf and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 5, 549-559, 2014.
6. Chen, X., L. Zhang, and Y. Peng, "UWB bandpass filter with sharp rejection and narrow notched band," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 15, 1077-1079, 2014.
7. Xu, J., W. Wu, W. Kang, and C. Miao, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with a notched band using radial stub loaded resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 7, 351-353, 2012.
8. Wang, H., K. W. Tam, S. K. Ho, W. Kang, and W. Wu, "Design of ultra-wideband bandpass filters with fixed and reconfigurable notch bands using terminated cross-shaped resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 62, No. 2, 252-265, 2014.
9. Li, J., C. Ding, F. Wei, and X. W. Shi, "Compact UWB BPF with notch band based on SW-HMSIW," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 17, 1338-1339, 2015.
10. Cui, C., Z. Hou, H. Wang, and W. Wu, "Novel band-notched UWB bandpass filter using microstrip/slotline ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 45, 69-73, 2014.
11. Baik, J. W., T. H. Lee, and Y. S. Kim, "UWB bandpass filter using microstrip-to-CPW transition with broadband balun," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 12, 846-848, 2007.
12. Baik, J. W., T. H. Lee, and Y. S. Kim, "Novel broadband microstrip-to-CPW transition with easy transmission band control," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 5, No. 2, 48-52, 2008.
13. Luo, X., H. Qian, J. G. Ma, and E. P. Li, "Wideband bandpass filter with excellent selectivity using new CSRR-based resonator," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 20, 1390-1391, 2010.