The paper is devoted to experimental and theoretical study of spectra zone characteristics of the wire medium metamaterial with mechanically tunable unit cell. We experimentally demonstrated the effective control possibility of the spectral characteristics of wire medium metamaterial by varying its elementary unit-cell geometry. We established conditions under which the experimental implementation of the wire medium metamaterial at microwaves possesses the properties of a plasma-like medium and the properties band gap structure. A good agreement between the experiment and theory is demonstrated.
2. Nicorovichi, N. A., R. C. McPhedran, and L. C. Botten, "Photonic band gaps for arrays of perfectly conducting cylinders," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 52, No. 1, 1135-1145, 1995.
3. Pendry, J. B., et al., "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, No. 25, 4773-4776, 1996.
4. Boutayeb, H., A.-C. Tarot, and K. Mahdjoubi, "Focusing characteristics of a metallic cylindrical electromagnetic band gap structure with defects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 89-103, 2006.
5. Vasilantonakis, N., M. E. Nasir, W. Dickson, G. A. Wurtz, and A. V. Zayats, "Bulk plasmon-polaritons in hyperbolic nanorod metamaterial waveguides," Laser Photonics Rev., Vol. 9, No. 3, 345-353, 2015.
6. Wu, B.-I., W. Wang, J. Pacheco, X. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "A study of using metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhance gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 295-328, 2005.
7. Wu, D. M., et al., "Terahertz plasmonic high pass filter," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 83, 201-203, 2003.
8. Belov, P. A., et al., "Image transmission with the subwavelength resolution in microwave, terahertz and optical frequency bands," J. Commun. Technol. Electron., Vol. 52, 1009, 2007.
9. Lourtioz, M., A. De Lustrac, F. Gadot, and D. Lippens, "Toward controllable photonic crystals for centimeter and millimeter wave devices," J. Lightwave Tech., Vol. 17, 2025-2031, 1999.
10. Boutayeb, H., T. A. Denidni, A. R. Sebak, and L. Talbi, "Band structure analysis of crystals with discontinuous metallic wires," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 7, 2005.
11. Belov, P. A. and C. R. Simovski, "Subwavelength metallic waveguides loaded by uniaxial resonant scatterers," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 72, 036618, 2005.
12. Ikonen, P., et al., "Light-weight base station antenna with artificial wire medium lens," IEE Proc. Microwaves, Antennas and Propag., Vol. 153, No. 2, 163-170, 2006.
13. Ikonen, P., P. Belov, C. Simovski, and S. Maslovsk, "Experimental demonstration of subwavelength field channeling at microwave frequencies using a capacitive loaded wire medium," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 73, 073102, 2006.
14. Turpin, J. P., J. A. Bossard, K. L. Morgan, D. H. Werner, and P. L. Werner, "Reconfigurable and tunable metamaterials: A review of the theory and applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, Article ID 429837.
15. Li, J., C. M. Shah, W. Withayachumnankul, and D. Abbott, "Mechanically tunable terahertz metamaterials," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 102, 121101, 2013.
16. Zhang, F., S. Feng, K. Qiu, Z. Liu, Y. Fan, W. Zhang, Q. Zhao, and J. Zhou, "Mechanically stretchable and tunable metamaterial absorber," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 106, 091907, 2015.
17. Shadrivov, I. V., D. A. Powell, S. K. Morrison, and Y. S. Kivshar, "Scattering of electromagnetic waves in metamaterial superlattices," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 90, 201919, 2007.
18. Oskooi, A. F., D. Roundy, M. Ibanescu, P. Bermel, J. Joannopoulos, and S. G. Johnson, "MEEP: A flexible free-software package for electromagnetic simulations by the FDTD method," Computer Physics Communications, Vol. 181, 687-702, 2010.
19. But’ko, L. N., A. P. Anzulevich, D. S. Liharev, and S. Moiseev, "Electrodynamics properties of media formed by regular lattices of conducting wires," CSU Bulletin, Physics, Vol. 16, No. 9, 11-17, 1996 (in Russian).