This paper proposes a compact Radial Line Slot Array (RLSA) antenna for 5.8 GHz Wi-Fi devices, which meets market needs. Various small RLSA antenna models with radius of 140 mm, were designed using extreme beamsquint technique. The models then were simulated to result in a best model. A prototype of the best model was then fabricated and measured to verify the simulation. The measured parameters are: a gain of 18 dBi, bandwidth of 1 GHz, beamwidth of 20˚, and mainlobe to sidelobe ratio of 15 dB, which meet antenna specifications for market needs. The prototype was tested as an antenna for a Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) device in order to show its performance. The test showed that the prototype worked properly. Lastly, we compared the size of the prototype with the average size of various antennas available in markets. We found that the prototype had the advantage of small size and flat, with similar performance.
2. Davis, P. W., "Experimental investigations into a linearly polarized radial slot antenna for DBS TV in Australia," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, 1123-1129, 1997.
3. Fernandez Gonzalez, J. M., et al., "Lightweight portable planar slot array antenna for satellite communications in x-band," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1409-1412, 2011.
4. Wang, Y., et al., "The investigation for a circularly polarized radial line slot antenna with low side lobes and high gain," Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1226-1227, 2012.
5. Bialkowski, K. S. and S. Zagriatski, "A dual band 2.4/5.2 GHz antenna including a radial line slot array and a patch," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society, AP-S International Symposium (Digest), 3095-3098, 2004.
6. Jamlos, M. F., O.A.Aziz, T. A. Rahman, M. R.Kamarudin, P. Saad, M. T. Ali, and M. N. Md Tan, "A beam steering Radial Line Slot Array (RLSA) antenna with reconfigurable operating frequency," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8-9, 1079-1088, 2010.
7. Jamlos, M. F., O. A. Aziz, T. A. Rahman, M. R. Kamarudin, P. Saad, M. T. Ali, and M. N. Md Tan, "A reconfigurable Radial Line Slot Array (RLSA) antenna for beam shape and broadside application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8-9, 1171-1182, 2010.
8. Jamlos, M. F. B., T. A. Rahman, M. R. Kamarudin, P. Saad, O. Abdul Aziz, and M. A. Shamsudin, "Adaptive beam steering of RLSA antenna with RFID technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 65-80, 2010.
9. Jamlos, M. F. B., T. A. Rahman, M. R. Kamarudin, P. Saad, M. A. Shamsudin, and A. M. M. Dahlan, "A novel adaptive Wi-Fi system with RFID technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 417-432, 2010.
10. Bialkowski, K. S. and S. Zagriatski, "Investigations into a dual band 2.4/5.2 GHz antenna for WLAN applications," 15th International Conference on Microwaves, Radar and Wireless Communications, MIKON 2004, 660-663, 2004.
11. Zagriatski, S. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Circularly polarised radial line slot array antenna for wireless LAN access point," 15th International Conference on Microwaves, Radar and Wireless Communications, MIKON 2004, 649-652, 2004.
12. Rahman, T. A., et al., "A study on effectiveness of FR4 as a dielectric material for radial line slot array antenna for wireless backhaul application," 17th Asia Pacific Conference on Communic (APCC), 385-388, 2011.
13. Purnamirza, T. and T. A. Rahman, "A novel technique in simplifying the fabrication process and in improving the reflection coefficient of the Linear Polarized Radial Line Slot Array (LP-RLSA) antennas," Journal on Electromagnetic Wave and Application, Vol. 26, No. 4, 535-548, 2012.
14. Purnamirza, T., T. A. Rahman, and M. H. Jamaluddin, "The extreme beamsquint technique to minimize the reflection coefficient of very small aperture radial line slot array antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 17-18, 2267-2276, 2012.
15. Hirokawa, J., et al., "Matching slot pair for a circularly-polarised slotted waveguide array," IEE Proceedings H: Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 137, 367-371, 1990.
16. Herranz, J. I., et al., "Optimization of beam-tilted linearly polarized radial-line slot-array antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1165-1168, 2010.
17. Imran, M. I. and A. R. Tharek, "Radial line slot antenna development for outdoor point to point application at 5.8 GHz band," 2004 RF and Microwave Conference, RFM 2004 Proceedings, 103-105, 2004.
18. Imran, M. I., et al., "An optimization of beam squinted radial line slot array antenna design at 5.8 GHz," 2008 IEEE International RF and Microwave Conference, RFM 2008, 139-142, Sabah, 2008.
19. Imran, M. I., et al., "Beam squinted Radial Line Slot Array Antenna (RLSA) design for point-to-point WLAN application," 2007 Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics Proceedings, APACE2007, 2007.
20. Islam, M. R. U. and T. A. Rahman, "Novel and simple design of multi layer Radial Line Slot Array (RLSA) antenna using FR-4 Substrate," 2008 Asia-Pacific Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility and 19th International Zurich Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, APEMC 2008, 843-846, 2008.
21. Islam, M. R. U., et al., "Simple integrated system for wireless backhaul networks," Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer and Communication Engineering 2008, ICCCE08: Global Links for Human Development, 341-345, 2008.
22. Ibrahim, I. M., T. A. Rahman, M. I. Sabran, and M. F. Jamlos, "Comparison of polypropylene and FR4 dielectric cavity for RLSA Antenna design at 5.8 GHz," IEEE TENSYMP 2014 --- 2014 IEEE Region 10 Symposium, Art. No. 6863032, 232-234, 2014.
23. Ibrahim, I. M., T. A. Rahman, M. I. Sabran, and M. F. Jamlos, "Bandwidth enhancement through slot design on RLSA performance," IEEE TENSYMP 2014 --- 2014 IEEE Region 10 Symposium, Art. No. 6863031, 228-231, 2014.
24. Ibrahim, I. M., T. A. Rahman, S. Z. Iliya, and M. I. Sabran, "Aperture slot size effect to wide band open air gap radial-line slot array performance," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 12, 2974-2978, 2014.