A simple dual-wideband magneto-electric (ME) dipole directional antenna is proposed in this letter. The antenna is composed of a ground plane, four Γ-shaped parasitic strips and an ME dipole fed by a Γ-shaped feed strip. Simulated results show that the ME dipole can only work in the higher frequency band from 1.7 to 2.7 GHz. By adding four Γ-shaped parasitic strips at each corner of the ground plane, the lower frequency band (0.788~1.17 GHz) impedance matching is improved. The antenna is prototyped and measured. Measured results show that the antenna obtains -10 dB impedance bandwidths of 39% (0.788~1.17 GHz) and 51.7% (1.62~2.75 GHz) for the lower and higher bands. The achieved gains are 5.5±0.5 dBi in the lower frequency band and 7±1 dBi in the higher frequency band. The proposed antenna has good impedance and directional radiation characteristics in the whole frequency band. It can be widely used for 2G, 3G, LTE, WLAN, etc. communication systems.
2. Zhu, Q., S. Yang, and Z. Chen, "A wideband horizontally polarized omnidirectional antenna for LTE indoor base stations," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 2112-2116, 2015.
3. Park, J.-S. and H.-K. Choi, "The design of broadband omnidirectional horizontally polarized dipole antennas with branch lines," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 2901-2905, 2015.
4. Zhou, L., Y. Jiao, Y. Qi, Z. Weng, and L. Lu, "Wideband ceiling-mount omnidirectional antenna for indoor distributed antenna systems," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 836-839, 2014.
5. Dai, X. W., Z. Y. Wang, C. H. Liang, X. Chen, and L. T. Wang, "Multiband and dual-polarized omnidirectional antenna for 2G/3G/LTE applicatio," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1492-1495, 2013.
6. Luk, K. M. and H. Wong, "A new wideband directional antenna element," Int. J. Microw. Opt. Technol., Vol. 1, No. 1, 35-44, 2006.
7. Cui, Y. H., R. L. Li, and P. Wang, "Novel dual-broadband planar antenna and its array for 2G/3G/LTE base stations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1132-1139, 2013.
8. An, W. X., H. Wong, K. L. Lau, S. F. Li, and Q. Xue, "Design of broadband dual-band dipole for base station antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1592-1595, Mar. 2012.
9. Feng, B., S. Yin, and S. Li, "A planar-printed E-shaped omnidirectional magneto-electric dipole antenna for WWAN/LTE applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 1734-1739, 2014, doi: 10.1002/mop.28441.
10. Feng, B., S. Li, W. An, S. Yin, J. Li, and T. Qiu, "U-shaped bow-tie magneto-electric dipole antenna with a modified horned reflector for ultra-wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 12, 990-998, Sept. 16, 2014.
11. Wu, B. Q. and K. M. Luk, "“A magneto-electric dipole with a modified ground plane," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 627-629, 2009.
12. Ge, L. and K. M. Luk, "A directional antenna element with very wide bandwidth," 2012 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, Chicago, IL, 2012.
13. Luk, K. M. and B.Wu, "The magnetoelectric dipole-a wideband antenna for base stations in mobile communications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2297-2307, Jul. 2012.
14. Feng, B., et al., "A dual-wideband double-layer magnetoelectric dipole antenna with a modified horned reflector for 2G/3G/LTE applications," Int. J. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 11, Article ID509589, 2013.
15. Wu, B. Q. and K. M. Luk, "A broadband dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole antenna with simple feeds ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 60-63, 2009.