A compact reconfigurable four-feeding microstrip antenna with polarization diversity is presented in this paper. With four triangle-shaped elements as the radiation patch, the proposed antenna can achieve good impedance match for linear polarization (LP), left hand circular polarization (LHCP) and right hand circular polarization (RHCP). A four-way power divider made by three Wilkinson power dividers and interconnected with PIN diodes is designed to feed the four elements. By controlling the states of the diodes, the antenna can produce LP, LHCP and RHCP. By using T-shaped slots on the patch and back to back geometry, a compact size of 0.6λ0× 0.6λ0×0.02λ0 is achieved. The impedance bandwidth of LP is about 80 MHz (3.3%), while the usable bandwidths (overlap of impedance bandwidth and AR bandwidth) of LHCP and RHCP are about 370 MHz (15%) and 250 MHz (10%). The average gain for LP is -2.1 dBi, and that for CP is -3.3 dBi. This reconfigurable patch antenna with switchable polarization has good performance and simple structure, which can be used for 2.4 GHz wireless communication systems.
2. Yang, X.-X. and S.-S. Zhong, "Analysis of two dual-polarization square-patch antennas," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 26, No. 3, 153-156, 2000.
3. Qin, P. Y., Y. J. Guo, and C. H. Liang, "Effect of antenna polarization diversity on MIMO system capacity," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1092-1095, 2010.
4. Nishamol, M. S., V. P. Sarin, D. Tony, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohannan, and K. Vasudevan, "An electronically reconfigurable microstrip antenna with switchable slots for polarization diversity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 9, 3424-3427, 2011.
5. Cao, S.-X., X.-X. Yang, B. Gong, and B.-C. Shao, "A reconfigurable microstrip antenna with agile polarization using diode switches," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 1566-1569, 2011.
6. Yang, X.-X., B.-C. Shao, F. Yang, A. Z. Elsherbeni, and B. Gong, "A polarization reconfigurable patch antenna with loop slots on the ground plane," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 69-72, 2012.
7. Yang, Z.-X., H.-C. Yang, J.-S. Hong, and Y. Li, "Bandwidth enhancement of a polarizationreconfigurable patch antenna with stair-slots on the ground," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 579-582, 2014.
8. Chen, Y., F. Zhang, M. Wang, J. Li, and Y. Chen, "A spiral slot antenna with reconfigurable CPW-to-slotline transition for polarization diversity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 45, 73-85, 2013.
9. Tsai, J.-F. and J.-S. Row, "Reconfigurable square-ring microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 5, 2857-2860, 2013.
10. Cao, W., B. Zhang, A. Liu, T. Yu, D. Guo, and K. Pan, "A reconfigurable microstrip antenna with radiation pattern selectivity and polarization diversity," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 453-456, 2012.
11. BAR89-02LRH, www.Infineon.com, .