A novel compact two-element MIMO (Multiple Input Multiple Output) antenna system operating from 6.1-7.8 GHz is proposed for wireless applications. The developed antenna system resonates at 6.8 GHz frequency, giving an impedance bandwidth of 25% (based on S11<-10 dB). An efficient technique is proposed to reduce the mutual coupling developed in the antenna system by employing a simple microstrip patch element in between the antennas. Using the proposed method, the mutual coupling is reduced to around -33 dB at the resonant frequency and maintaining the overall mutual coupling less than -20 dB in the operating band. The experimental models are developed for both the MIMO systems i.e. without and with patch element between the antennas and the results are compared with simulated results. Also, Enveloped Correlation Coefficient (ECC) between the two antennas is calculated and compared.
2. Han, M. S. and J. Choi, "MIMO antenna using a decoupling network for next generation mobile application," 9th International Symposium on Communications and Information Technology, ISCIT 2009, 568-571, 2009.
3. Nikolic, M. M., A. R. Djordevic, and A. Nehorai, "Microstrip antennas with suppressed radiation in horizontal directions and reduced coupling," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3469-3476, 2005.
4. Abouda, A. A. and S. G. Haggman, "Effect of mutual coupling capacity of MIMO wireless channels in high SNR scenario," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 27-40, 2006.
5. Chou, H. T., H. C. Cheng, H. T. Hsu, and L. R. Kuo, "Investigations of isolation improvement techniques for multiple input multiple output (MIMO) WLAN portable terminal applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 349-366, 2008.
6. Yu, A. and X. Zhang, "A novel method to improve the performance of microstrip antenna arrays using a dumbbell EBG structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 170-172, 2003.
7. Caminita, F., S. Costanzo, G. DiMassa, G. Guarnieri, S. Maci, G. Mauriello, and I. Venneri, "Reduction of patch antenna coupling by using a compact EBG formed by shorted strips with interlocked branch-stubs," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 811-814, 2009.
8. Farahani, H. S., M. Veysi, M. Kamyab, and A. Tadjalli, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna arrays using a UC-EBG superstrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 57-59, 2010.
9. Kakoyiannis, C. G. and P. Constantinou, "Compact printed arrays with embedded coupling mitigation for energy efficient wireless sensor networking," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2010, 1-18, Hindawi, 2010.
10. Habashi, A., J. Nourinia, and C. Ghobadi, "Mutual coupling reduction between very closely spaced patch antennas using low-profile folded split-ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 862-865, 2011.
11. Farsi, S., H. Aliakbarian, B. Nauwelaers, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Mutual coupling reduction between planar antenna by using a simple microstrip U-section," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1501-1503, 2012.
12. Yang, F., X.-X. Zhang, X. Ye, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Wide-band E-shaped patch antennas for wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 7, 1094-1100, 2001.
13. Chung, K. L. and S. Kharkovsky, "Mutual coupling and gain enhancement using angular offset elements in circularly polarized patch array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1122-1124, 2013.
14. Payandehjoo, K. and R. Abhari, "Highly-isolated unidirectional multi-slot-antenna systems for enhanced MIMO performance," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer Aided Engineering, Vol. 24, 289-297, 2014.
15. Mak, A. C. K., C. R. Rowell, and R. D. Murch, "Isolation enhancement between two closely packed antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 11, 3411-3419, 2008.
16. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity Performance from input parameter description," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, 2003.
17. Li, W., W. Lin, and G. Yang, "A compact MIMO antenna system design with low correlation from 1710 MHz to 2690 MHz," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 59-65, 2014.