Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) test is an important part for the manufacture of power electronic equipment, which helps us not only analyze the noise characteristics of the Equipment Under Test (EUT) but also design EMI filters. The previous separation method for the Common Mode (CM) and Differential Mode (DM) noise was time consuming or costly. In this paper, a novel measurement system for CM and DM conducted EMI is described showing a good performance. The system consists of two parts, part 1: getting CM noise or DM noise through a current probe; part 2: obtaining another mode noise from a software-based method. A 150w switch mode power supply is measured to verify the proposed measurement system. The noise spectra of CM and DM signal is shown, and the results obtained by software program are compared with those obtained from a current probe measurement showing a good concordance in terms of peak value.
2. Kumar, M. and V. Agarwal, "Power line filter design for conducted electromagnetic interference using time domain measurements," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 48, No. 1, 178-186, 2006.
3. Kahoul, R., Y. Azzouz, B. Ravelo, and B. Mazari, "New behavioral modeling of EMI for DC motors applied to EMC characterization," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 60, No. 12, 5482-5496, 2013.
4. Caponet, M. C., F. Profumo, and A. Tenconi, "EMI filters design for power electronics," IEEE 33rd Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference, 2027-2032, Jun. 23-27, 2002.
5. Philip, F. O. and H. Lothar, "Computer-aided analysis and reduction of conducted EMI in switched-mode power converter," IEEE 13th Annual Applied Power Electronics Conference, 924-928, Feb. 15-19, 1998.
6. Tan, W. H., C. Cuellar, X. Margueron, and N. Idir, "A high frequency equivalent circuit and parameter extraction procedure for common mode choke in the EMI filter," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 28, No. 3, 1157-1166, 2013.
7. Kovacic, M., Z. Hanic, S. Stjepan, S. Krishnamurthy, and D. Zarko, "Analytical wideband model of a common-mode choke," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 27, No. 7, 3173-3185, 2012.
8. Wang, S., F. C. Lee, and W. G. Odendaal, "Characterization, evaluation, and design of noise separator for conducted EMI noise diagnosis," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 20, No. 4, 974-982, 2005.
9. See, K. Y. and N. C. Sum, "Diagnosis of conducted interference with discrimination network," Proceedings of International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive System, 433-437, Feb. 21-24, 1995.
10. Paul, C.-R. and K.-B. Hardin, "Diagnosis and reduction of conducted noise emission," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 30, No. 4, 553-560, 1988.
11. See, K. Y., "Network for conducted EMI diagnosis," Electronics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 17, 1446-1447, 1999.
12. Guo, T., D.-Y. Chen, and F.-C. Lee, "Separation of the common mode and differential mode conducted EMI noise," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 3, 480-488, 1996.
13. Lo, Y.-K., H.-J. Chiu, and T.-H. Song, "A software-based CM and DM measurement system for conducted EMI," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 47, No. 4, 253-255, 2000.
14. Nave, M.-J., "A novel differential mode rejection network for conducted emissions diagnostics," IEEE National Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 223-227, May 23-25, 1989.