In this paper, a dual-band high-gain antenna based on the split ring resonators (SRRs) and corrugated plate is presented. By combining the SRRs and corrugated plate, the presented antenna resonating at different frequencies with high performance is easily achieved based on the superposition of the electric fields radiated by the SRRs and the grooves. Both the simulated and measured results show that the gain is improved by 6 dB at 12.7 GHz and 6.5 dB at 14.2 GHz respectively compared with the conventional flat antenna without grooves. Moreover, half-power beam width (HPBW) of E-plane is reduced by more than 100 degrees at 12.7 GHz and 14.2 GHz.
2. Sun, X. L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Dual-band monopole antenna with compact radiator for 2.4/3.5 GHz WiMAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 1765-1770, 2013.
3. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robebins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
4. Herraiz-Martinez, F. J., L. E. Garcia-Mu~noz, D. Gonzalez-Ovejero, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Dual-frequency printed dipole loaded with split ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 137-140, 2009.
5. Liu, Y., X. Tang, Z. X. Zhang, and X. L. Huang, "Novel nested split-ring-resonator (SRR) for compact filter application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 765-773, 2013.
6. Kim, D.-O., N.-I. Jo, H.-A. Jang, and C.-Y. Kim, "Design of the ultrawideband antenna with a quadruple-band rejection characteristics using a combination of the complementary split ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 93-107, 2011.
7. Bait-Suwailam, M. M., O. F. Siddiqui, and O. M. Ramahi, "Mutual coupling reduction between microstrip patch antennas using slotted-complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 876-879, 2010.
8. Zhang, H., Y. Q. Li, X. Chen, Y. Q. Fu, and N. C. Yuan, "Design of circular/dual-frequency linear polarization antennas based on the anisotropic complementary split ring resonator," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 3352-3355, 2009.
9. Xie, Y. H., C. Zhu, L. Li, and C. H. Liang, "A novel dual-band metamaterials antenna based on complementary split ring resonators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, 1007-1009, 2012.
10. Huang, C., Z. Zhao, Q. Feng, and X. Luo, "A high-gain antenna consisting of two slot elements with a space larger than a wavelength," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 159-161.
11. Beruete, M., I. Campillo, J. S. Dolado, and J. E. Rodriguez-Seco, "Enhanced microwave transmission and beaming using a subwavelength slot in corrugated plate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 3, 328-330, 2004.
12. Beruete, M., I. Campillo, J. S. Dolado, J. E. Rodriguez-Seco, E. Perea, F. Falcone, and M. Sorolla, "Dual-band low-profile corrugated feeder antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 54, 340-350, 2006.
13. Huang, C., Z. Zhao, Q. Feng, C. Wang, and X. Luo, "Grooves-assisted surface wave modulation in two-slot array for mutual coupling reduction and gain enhancement," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 912-915, 2009.
14. Garc¶³a-Vidal, F. J. and L. Mart¶³n-Moreno, \, "Transmission and focusing of light in one-dimensional periodically nanostructured metals," Physical Review B, Vol. 66, 155412-1-10, 2002.
15. Simovski, C. R., P. A. Belov, and S. He, "Backward wave region and negative material parameters of a structure formed by lattices of wires and split-ring resonators," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 2582-2591, 2003.
16. Chen, J.-Y., W.-L. Chen, J.-Y. Yeh, L.-W. Chen, and C.-C. Wang, "Comparative analysis of split-ring resonators for tunable negative permeability metamaterials based on anisotropic dielectric substrates," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 10, 25-38, 2009.