In the ongoing search for new materials for microwave absorption applications, Carbon Nanotubes deserve a special consideration due to their outstanding properties. In this paper, microwave absorbing properties of epoxy resin based composites containing commercial MultiWalled Carbon Nanotubes used as fillers have been analyzed. The complex permittivity of the composites was measured in a wide frequency band (3-18 GHz). The absorbing properties of a single-layer absorber backed by a metallic plate considering several concentration of CNTs was simulated taking into account the measured permittivity.
2. Said, A., L. Bednarz, R. Daussin, C. Bailly, and X. Lu, "Carbon nanotube composites for broadband microwave absorbing materials," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techn., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2745-2754, 2006.
3. De Rosa, I. M., F. Sarasini, M. S. Sarto, and A. Tamburrano, "EMC impact of advanced carbon ¯ber/carbon nanotube reinforce composites for next-generation aerospace applications," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 50, No. 3, 556-563, 2008.
4. Koledintseva, M. Y., J. Drewniak, and R. Dubroff, "Modeling of shielding composite materials and structure for microwave frequency," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 15, 197-215, 2009.
5. Kumar Das, C. and C. V. Sudhakar, "CNT based and graphene based polymer nanocomposites for radar absorbing applications," Journal of Materials Science and Engineering B2, Vol. 6, 368-375, 2012.
6. Singh, V. K., A. Shukla, M. K. Patra, L. Saini, R. K. Jani, S. R. Vadera, and N. Kumar, "Microwave absorbing properties of a thermally reduced graphene oxide/nitrile butadiene rubber composite," Carbon, Vol. 50, 2202-2208, 2012.
7. Bhagwan, F. J., M. Sawant, M. Kulkarni, and P. K. Brahmankar, "Dispersion and performance properties of carbon nanotubes (CNTs) based polymer composites: A review," Journal of Encapsulation and Adsorption Sciences , Vol. 2, 69-78, 2012.
8. Micheli, D., C. Apollo, R. Pastore, and M. Marchetti, "X-band microwave characterization of carbon-based nanocomposite material, absorption capability comparison and RAS desing simulation," Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 70, 400-409, 2010.
9. Dombovari, A., et al., "Moderate anisotropy in the electrical conductivity of bulk MWCNT/epoxy composites," Carbon, Vol. 48, 1918-1925, 2010.
10. Micheli, D., R. Pastore, C. Apollo, M. Marchetti, G. Gradoni, V. M. Primiani, and F. Moglie, "Broadband electromagnetic absorbers using carbon nanostructure-based composites," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techn., Vol. 59, No. 10, 2633-2646, 2011.
11. Chang, J., G. Liang, S. Cai, and Y. Li, "The production of carbon nanotube/epoxy composites with a very high dielectric constant and low dielectric loss by microwave curing," Carbon, Vol. 50, 689-698, 2012.
12. Micheli, D., C. Apollo, R. Pastore, D. Barbera, R. B. Morles, M. Marchetti, G. Gradoni, V. M. Primiani, and F. Moglie, "Optimization of multilayer shields made of composite nanostructured materials ," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 54, No. 1, 60-68, 2012.
13. Micheli, D., R. Pastore, G. Gradoni, V. M. Primiani, F. Moglie, and M. Marchetti, "Reduction of satellite electromagnetic scattering by carbon nanostructures multilayers," Acta Astronautica, Vol. 88, 61-73, 2013.
14. Savi, P., D. Trinchero, R. Tascone, and R. Orta, "A new approach to the design of dual-mode rectangular waveguide filters with distributed coupling," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 2, 221-228, 1997.
15. Dresselhaus, M. S., G. Dresselhaus, R. Saitoc, and A. Joriod, "Raman spectroscopy of carbon nanotubes," Physics Reports, Vol. 409, 47-99, 2005.
16. Chiolero, A., M. Castellino, P. Jagdale, M. Giorcelli, S. Bianco, and A. Tagliaferro, "Electrical properties of CNT-based polymeric matrix nanocomposites," Carbon Nanotubes --- Polymer Nanocomposites, Yellampalli Siva INTECH Open Access Publisher, 215-230, 2011.
17. Kumar, A., S. Sharma, and G. Singh, "Measurement of dielectric constant and loss factor of the dielectric material at microwave frequency," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 69, 47-54, 2007.
18. Giorcelli, M., P. Savi, A. Delogu, M. Miscuglio, M. H. Yahya, and A. Tagliaferro, "Microwave absorption properties in epoxy resin multi walled carbon nanotubes composites," International Conference on Electromagnetic in Advanced Applications (ICEAA13), 2013.