This paper presents a novel modified composite right/left-handed (CRLH) unit cell to achieve sharp rejection at 5.8 GHz. Design formulas are theoretically derived and numerically verified. Based on this unit cell, ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filters with two and three cells are designed, fabricated, and on-wafer measured. The measurement results show that the CRLH bandpass filter has a rejection of >60 dB at 5.8 GHz, a minimum insertion loss of 1.1 dB, and 3-dB bandwidths of 3.09-4.79 GHz and 3.22-4.61 GHz for the two and three unit cells, respectively.
2. Huang, J.-Q. , Q.-X. Chu, and C.-Y. Liu, "Compact UWB filter based on surface-coupled structure with dual notched bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 311-319, 2010.
3. Watanabe, K., Z. M. Ma, C. P. Chen, and T. Anada, "An ultra-wideband bandpass filter having sharp skirt property and large attenuations in its stopband," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 9, 2093-2097, 2010.
4. Lee , C.-H., I.-C. Wang, and L.-Y. Chen, "MMR-based band-notched UWB bandpass filter design," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 17-18, 2407-2415, 2008.
5. Gao, S. S., X. S. Yang, J. P. Wang, S. Q. Xiao, and B. Z. Wang, "Compact ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter using modified stepped impedance resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 514-548, 2008.
6. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Chapter 3, Wiley, NJ, 2006.
7. Lin, X. Q., H. F. Ma, D. Bao, and T. J. Cui, "Design and analysis of super-wide bandpass filters using a novel compact meta-structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 4, 747-753, 2007.
8. Gong , J.-Q. and Q.-X. Chu, "SCRLH TL based UWB bandpass filter with widened upper stopband," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14-15, 1985-1992, 2008.
9. Samavati, , H., A. Hajimiri, A. R. Shahani, G. N. Nasserbakht, and T. H. Lee, "Fractal capacitors," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 33, No. 12, 2035-2041, 1998.
10. Monti, G., R. De Paolis, and L. Tarricone, "Design of a 3-state recon¯gurable CRLH transmission line based on MEMS switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 283-297, 2009..