A standalone, printed monopole antenna with a two-branch shorting strip and a grounding wire to achieve a small size and yet multi-band operation for penta-band wireless wide area network (WWAN) operation (824-960/1710-2170 MHz) is presented. The antenna was formed on a low-cost, single-layered dielectric substrate with the dimensions 10 mm×50 mm. By applying the proposed grounding wire and the dual-shorting strip, two resonant modes in close proximity in the antenna's lower band were obtained to cover the GSM850/900 operation. Further, the proposed shorting strip led to two additional, higher-order resonance excitation at about 1700 and 1800 MHz to assist in the formation of a wide upper band to cover the GSM1800/1900/UMTS operation. The proposed antenna also showed good radiation properties. Details of the design are described and discussed in the article.
2. Lin, , C. I. and K. L. Wong, "Printed monopole slot antenna for internal multiband mobile phone antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, 3690-3697, 2007.
3. Wong , K. L. and C. H. Huang, "Printed loop antenna with a perpendicular feed for penta-band mobile phone application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, 2138-2141, 2008.
4. Wong, K. L. and C. H. Huang, "Printed PIFA with a coplanar coupling feed for penta-band operation in the mobile phone," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 3181-3186, 2008.
5. Chen, W. Y. and K. L. Wong, "Small-size coupled-fed shorted T-monopole for internal WWAN antenna in the thin-profile mobile phone," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, 257-262, 2010.
6. Wong, K. L. and L. C. Lee, "Multiband printed monopole slot antenna for WWAN operation in the laptop computer," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, 324-330, 2009.
7. Wong, , K. L. and S. J. Liao, "Uniplanar coupled-fed printed PIFA for WWAN operation in the laptop computer," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 549-554, 2009.
8. Vainikainen , P. , J. Ollikainen, O. Kivekas, and I. Kelander, "Resonator-based analysis of the combination of mobile handset antenna and chassis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, 1433-1444, 2002.
9. Ansoft Corporation HFSS, , available at http://www.ansoft.com/products/hf/hfss..
10. CTIA Authorized Test Laboratory, CTIA, , The Wireless Association, available at http://www.ctia.org/business resources/certification/test labs/.
11. Test Plan for Mobile Station over the Air Performance, Revision Number 2.22 and 2008, , available at http://¯les.ctia.org/pdf/CTIA TestPlaforMobileStationOTAPerformanceRevision 2 2 2 Final 121808.pdf.
12. Volakis, J. L., Antenna Engineering Handbook, 4th Ed., Chap. 6, 16-19. McGraw-Hill, New York, 2007.