A simplified calibration procedure using T-matrix concept is presented for two-port vector network analyzer (VNA) with three measurement channels. Compared with Short-Open-Load-Thru (SOLT) calibration method based on 10-term error model where 10 error terms must be solved and saved at each frequency, the proposed method need define fewer characteristic variables. Moreover, a length-unknown 50Ω line can be used instead of a random single-port standard, for example, substituting Load standard with 50Ω line in SOLT calibration procedure. Via the simplified calibration procedure, the scattering parameters of a two-port device under test (DUT) can be finally obtained. Experimental verification is carried out, and good agreement is observed.
2. Rytting, D., "Network analyzer error models and calibration methods," RF & Microwave Measurement for Wireless Application (ARFTG/NIST Short Course Notes), 1996.
3. Ferrero, A. , V. Teppati, M. Garelli, and A. Neri, "A novel calibration algorithm for a special class of multiport vector network analyzers," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 56, No. 3, 693-699, 2008.
4. Marks , R. B., "Formulations of the basic vector network analyzer error model including switch-terms," Proc. 50th ARFTG Microwave Measurements Conf. Fall, 115-126, 1997.
5. Vandenberghe , S., D. Schreurs, G. Carchon, B. Nauwelaers, and W. De Raedt, "Identifying error-box parameters from the twelve-term vector network analyzer error model," Proc. 60th ARFTG Microwave Measurement Conf. Fall, 157-165, 2002.
6. Ferrero, A. and U. Pisani, "Two-port network analyzer calibration using an unknown `thru'," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Letter, Vol. 2, No. 12, 505-507, 1992.
7. Marks , R. B., "A multiline method of network analyzer calibration," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 39, No. 7, 1205-1215, 1991.