A novel and compact dual-mode defected ground structure (DGS) resonator is presented. Distinct characteristics of the proposed resonator are investigated. Using this type of resonator, a bandpass filter with the center frequency of 2.38 GHz and the fractional bandwidth of 6.7% is simulated and fabricated. The results show that this filter not only has an inherent transmission zero near the passband, but also has a very wide upper stopband with rejection better than 20 dB up to about 12 GHz.
2. Curtis, J. A. and S. J. Fiedziuszko, "Miniature dual mode microstip filters," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 443-446, 1991.
3. Wolff , I., "Microstrip bandpass filter using degenerate modes of a microstrip ring resonator," Electron. Letters, Vol. 8, No. 12, 302-303, 1972.
4. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Bandpass characteristics of new dual-mode microstrip square loop resonators," Electron. Letters, Vol. 31, No. 11, 891-892, 1995.
5. Zhu, L. , P. M. Wecowski, and K. Wu, "New planar dual-mode filter using cross-slotted patch resonator for simultaneous size and loss reduction," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 5, 650-654, 1999.
6. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Microstrip bandpass filter using degenerate modes of a novel meander loop resonator," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 5, No. 11, 1995.
7. Kang , W. , W. Hong, and J.-Y. Zhou, "Performance improvement and size reduction of microstrip dual-mode bandpass filter," Electron. Letters, Vol. 44, No. 6, 421-422, 2008.
8. Gorur, A., "A novel dual-mode bandpass filter with wide stopband using the properties of microstip open-loop resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, No. 10, 386-388, 2002.
9. Gorur, A. , C. Karpuz, and M. Akpinar, "A reduced-size dual-mode bandpass filter with capacitively loaded open-loop arms," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 9, 385-387, 2003.
10. Wang, Y.-X., B.-Z. Wang, and J. Wang, "A compact square loop dual-mode bandpass filter with wide stop-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 67-73, 2007.
11. Hong, J.-S. , H. Shaman, and Y.-H. Chun, "Dual-mode microstrip open-loop resonators and filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 8, 1764-1770, 2007.
12. Athukorala, L. and D. Budimir, "Compact dual-mode open loop microstrip resonators and filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 11, 698-700, 2009.
13. Zhang, X.-S., Y.-J. Zhao, H.-W. Deng, L. Zhang, and W. Chen, "High selectivity dual-mode bandpass filter with source-loaded coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 187-194, 2010.
14. Wei, C.-L. , B.-F. Jia, Z.-J. Zhu, and M. Tang, "Design of different selectivity dual-mode filters with E-shaped resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 517-532, 2011.
15. Zhang, X.-Y. , J. Shi, J.-X. Chen, and Q. Xue, "Dual-band bandpass filter design using a novel feed scheme," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 6, 350-352, 2009.
16. Wang, J. , L. Ge, K. Wang, and W. Wu, "Compact microstrip dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter with wide stopband," Electron. Letters, Vol. 47, No. 4, 263-265, 2011.
17. Abdel-Rahman, A., A. R. Ali, S. Amari, and A. S. Omar, "Compact bandpass filters using defected ground structure (DGS) coupled resonators," Proc. IEEE MTT-S Int. Dig., 1479-1482, 2005.
18. Mondal , P. and A. Chakrabarty, "Compact wideband bandpass filters with wide upper stopband," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 1, 31-33, 2007.
19. Abdel-Rahman , A. B. and A. S. Omar, "Miniaturized bandpass filters using capacitor loaded folded slot coupled resonators," IEEE Middle East Conference on Antennas and Propagation (MECAP), 1-4, 2010.
20. Wu, B. , C.-H. Liang, P.-Y. Qin, and Q. Li, "Compact dual-band filter using defected stepped impedance resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 10, 674-676, 2008.
21. Lai , X. , C.-H. Liang, H. Di, and B. Wu, "Design of tri-band filter based on stub loaded resonator and DGS resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 5, 265-267, 2010.
22. Kunwer, A. K. and S. Pal, "High performance wide stopband lowpass filter using complementary split ring resonators as defected ground plane," International Conference on Devices and Communications (ICDeCom), 1-4, 2011.
23. Mohra, A. S., "Microstrip low pass filter with wideband rejection using opened circuit stubs and Z-slots defected ground structures," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 4, 811-815, 2011.
24. Boutejdar , A., A. Abdel-Rahman, A. Batmanov, P. Burte, and A. Omar, "Miniaturized band-stop filter based on multilayer-technique and new coupled octagonal defected ground structure with interdigital capacitor," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 3, 510-514, 2010.
25. Liao, C. K., P. L. Chi, and C. Y. Chang, "Microstrip realization of generalized Chebyshev filters with box-like coupling schemes," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 1, 147-153, 2007.