A novel microstrip-fed ultra wideband (UWB) elliptical antenna with dual band-notched characteristics is proposed. Dual band-notched characteristics are achieved by employing a pair of U-shaped slots on the ground plane and a T-shaped parasitic strip on the backside of the substrate. The operation bandwidth of the designed antenna is from 2.9 to 12 GHz for voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR) less than 2, except two frequency stop-bands of 3.2-3.9 GHz for WiMAX system and 4.9-6.1 GHz for WLAN system. Moreover, the proposed antenna provides good radiation patterns across the working bands and a relatively flat gain over the entire frequency band excluding the rejected bands.
2. Wu, Q., R. Jin, J. Geng, and M. Ding, "Printed omni-directional UWB monopole antenna with very compact size," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 3, 896-899, 2008.
3. Lin, C.-C. and H.-R. Chuang, "A 3-12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008.
4. Ray, K. P. and Y. Rang, "Ultra-wideband printed elliptical monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 4, 1189-1192, 2007.
5. Yin, X.-C., C.-L. Ruan, C.-Y. Ding, and J.-H. Chu, "A planar U type monopole antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 1-10, 2008.
6. Huang, C.-Y. and W.-C. Hsia, "Planar elliptical antenna for ultra-wideband communications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 6, 2005.
7. Kim, K. H., Y. J. Cho, S. H. Hwang, and S. O. Park, "Band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with two parasitic patches," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 14, 783-785, 2005.
8. Liu, L., Y. Z. Yin, C. Jie, J. P. Xiong, and Z. Cui, "A compact printed antenna using slot-type CSRR for 5.2 GHz/5.8 GHz band-notched UWB application," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 12, 3239-3242, 2008.
9. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
10. Song, Y., Y. C. Jiao, T. L. Zhang, J. B. Jiang, X. Zhang, and F. S. Zhang, "Frequency notched UWB slot antenna with a fractal-shaped slot," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 321-327, 2009.
11. Zhang, G.-M., J.-S. Hong, and B.-Z. Wang, "Two novel band-notched UWB slot antennas FED by microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 209-218, 2008.
12. Wang, M.-F., J.-X. Xiao, and S.-W. Wang, "Study of a dual-band notched wideband circular slot antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2445-2452, 2010.
13. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M., "Compact UWB band-notched antenna with transmission-line-FED," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 283-293, 2008.
14. Lee, W.-S., D.-Z. Kim, K.-J. Kim, and J.-W. Yu, "Wideband planar monopole antennas with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2800-2806, 2006.
15. Yang, B., Y.-C. Jiao, H.-H. Xie, Z. Hong, and R. Zou, "A novel tri-band-notched ultra-wideband monopole antenna with coupled resonators ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14-15, 2019-2028, 2010.
16. Liao, X.-J. , H.-C. Yang, and N. Han, "An improved dual band-notched UWB antenna with a parasitic strip and a defected ground plane," 2010 International Symposium on Intelligent Signal Processing and Communication Systems (lSPACS 2010), Dec. 6-8, 2010.
17. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Bandwidth enhancement of novel compact single and dual band-notched printed monopole antenna with a pair of L-shaped slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 12, 3978-3983, 2009.