In this paper, a planar microstrip UWB monopole antenna with a good band-rejection is presented. By using a pair of arc shaped parasitic elements around the patch, an excellent notched frequency band for rejecting the WLAN band (5--6\,GHz) can be obtained. The arc shaped strips are parametrically studied and the effects of them on the radiation patterns and time domain behaviour of the UWB antenna are investigated.
2. Chung, K., J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notch function," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 11, 2005.
3. Falahati, A., M. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, and R. M. Edwards, "Dual band-notch CPW-ground-fed UWB antenna by fractal binary tree slot," Fifth International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Communications, ICWMC, 385-390, 2009.
4. Zheng, Z. A. and Q. X. Chu, "Compact CPW-fed UWB antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 83-91, 2009.
5. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M., "Compact UWB band notch antenna with transmission-line-fed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 283-293, 2008.
6. Sun, J.-Q., X.-M. Zhang, Y.-B. Yang, R. Guan, and L. Jin, "Dual band-notched ultra-wideband planar monopole antenna with M- and W-slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 19, 1-8, 2010.
7. Zhang, Y., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, and J. Y. Zhou, "A compact multiple bands notched UWB antenna by loading SIR and SRR on the feed line," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, ICMMT, 2008.
8. Li, X., L. Yang, S.-X. Gong, and Y.-J. Yang, "Ultra-wideband monopole antenna with four-band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 27-34, 2009.
9. Dong, Y. D., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, C. Yu, Y. Zhang, J. Y. Zhou, and J. X. Chen, "Development of ultrawideband antenna with multiple band-notched characteristics using half mode substrate integrated waveguide cavity technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 9, 2008.
10. Kim, K. H., Y. J. Cho, S. H. Hwang, and S. O. Park, "Band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with two parasitic patches," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 14, 783-785, 2005.
11. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Printed circular disc monopole antenna for ultra wideband applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 20, 1246-1247, 2004.
12. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of UWB planar band-notched antenna using parasitic elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 3, 2009.
13. Chen, Z. N., X. H. Wu, H. F. Li, N. Yang, and M. Y. W. Chia, "Considerations for source pulses and antennas in UWB radio systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 7, 2004.