A compact ultrawideband (UWB) antenna with 3.5/5.2GHz band-notched characteristics is proposed. The proposed antenna is composed of a half elliptic annulus radiation element fed by microstrip line and a step-shaped ground plane with truncated corners. By inserting closed-looped resonating structure onto the radiation patch and connecting open-looped resonator on the back side with patch via metallic hole, the dual notched frequency bands are achieved. The numerical and experimental results exhibit a wide impedance bandwidth ranging from 3.08 to 11GHz with the dual notched bands around 3.5 and 5.2GHz. Additionally, nearly omni-directional radiation patterns, moderate gain, and small group delay variation are also obtained.
2. Zaker, R. and A. Abdipour, "A very compact ultrawideband printed omnidirectional monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 9, 471-473, 2010.
3. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, 2005.
4. Liu, J., S. Zhong, and K. P. Esselle, "A printed elliptical monopole antenna with modified feeding structure for bandwidth enhancement," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 2, 667-670, Feb. 2011.
5. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Printed circular ring monopole antennas," Microwave Opt. Technol. Let., Vol. 45, No. 5, 372-275, Jun. 2005.
6. Lizzi, L., F. Viani, R. Azaro, and A. Massa, "Optimization of a spline-shaped UWB antenna by PSO," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 6, 182-185, 2007.
7. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M., "Compact UWB bandnotch antenna with transmission-line-fed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 283-293, 2008.
8. Ren, L.-S., F. Li, J.-J. Zhao, G. Zhao, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A novel compact UWB antenna with 3.5/5.2/5.8 GHz triple band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 16, 131-139, 2010.
9. Lizzi, L., G. Oliveri, P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "Planar monopole UWB antenna with WLAN-band notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 25, 277-292, 2010.
10. Dissanayake, T. and K. P. Esselle, "Prediction of the notch frequency of slot loaded printed UWB antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3320-3325, 2007.
11. Tu, S., Y. C. Jiao, Y. Song, and Z. Zhang, "A novel miniature strip-line fed antenna with band-notched function for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 29-38, 2009.
12. Barbarino, S., "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-L notch filter for the 5 GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010.
13. Jiang, J.-B., Z.-H. Yan, and C. Wang, "A novel compact UWB notch-filter antenna with a dual-Y-shaped slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 14, 165-170, 2010.
14. Ma, T.-G. and S.-J. Wu, "Ultrawideband band-notched folded strip monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 9, Sep. 2007.
15. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
16. Wu, S.-J., C.-H. Kang, K.-H. Chen, and J.-H. Tarng, "Study of an ultrawideband monopole antenna with a band-notched open-looped resonator," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 6, Jun. 2010.
17. Zhang, Y., W. Hong, C. Yu, Z.-Q. Kuai, Y.-D. Don, and J.-Y. Zhou, "Planar ultrawideband antennas with multiple notched bands based on etched slots on the patch and/or split ring resonators on the feed line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 9, Sep. 2008.