The effect of shaping the ground plane on the performance of a square loop coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed printed antenna is reported in this paper. Experimental results are presented on the reflection coefficient and radiation pattern of the investigated antennas. Simulation results are presented on the current distribution and gain. It is observed based on the results that shaping the ground plane significantly affects the reflection coefficients and current distributions.
2. John, M., J. A. Evans, M. J. Ammann, J. C. Modro, and Z. N. Chen, "Reduction of ground-plane-depedent effects on microstrip-fed printed rectangular monopoles," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 1, 42-47, 2008.
3. Bhattacharyya, A. K., "Effects of ground plane and dielectric truncations on the efficiency of a printed structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 3, 303-308, Mar. 1991.
4. Best, S. R., "The significance of ground-plane size and antenna location in establishing the performance of ground-plane-dependent antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 6, 29-43, Dec. 2009.
5. Arkko, A. T., "Effect of ground plane size on the free-space performance of a mobile handset PIFA antenna," Proc. IEEE International Conference on Antennas and Propagation (ICAP), Vol. 1, 316-319, University of Exeter, UK, Mar. 31-Apr. 3, 2003.
6. Curto, S., M. John, and M. J. Ammann, "Groundplane dependent performance of printed antenna for MB-OFDM-UWB," Proc. IEEE 65th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2007), 352-356, 2007.
7. Tsachtsiris, G., C. Soras, M. Karaboikis, and V. Makios, "Ground plane effect on the performance of a printed Minkowski monopole antenna," Proc. International Conference on Applied Electromagnetics and Communications, 197-200, Dubrovnik, Croatia, Oct. 1-3, 2003.
8. Geissler, M., D. Heberling, and I.Wolff, "Bandwidth and radiation properties of internal handset antennas," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2246-2249, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, Jul. 16-21, 2000.
9. Liu, Y. F., K. L. Lau, Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "Experimental studies of printed wide-slot antenna for wide-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 273-275, 2004.
10. Wang, C.-J. and D.-F. Hsu, "Studies of the microstrip monopole antenna with windowed ground plane," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, No. 5, 407-411, Sep. 2004.
11. Chen, D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel ultra-wideband microstrip-line fed wide-slot antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 4, 776-777, Apr. 2006.
12. Qu, S.-W., C. Ruan, and B.-Z. Wang, "Bandwidth enchancement of wide-slot antenna fed by CPW and microstrip line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 15-17, 2006.
13. Liu, W.-J. and Q.-X. Chu, "Half-cut disc UWB antenna with tapered CPW structure for USB application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1380-1384, Jun. 2010.
14. Fan, Z., S. Qiao, H.-F. Jiang Tao, and L.-X. Ran, "A miniaturized printed dipole antenna with V-shaped ground for 2.45 GHz RFID readers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 149-158, 2007.
15. Wang, L., W. Wu, X.-W. Shi, F. Wei, and Q. Huang, "Design of a novel monopole UWB antenna with a notched ground," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 5, 13-20, 2008.
16. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Investigation on UWB printed monopole antenna with rectangular slitted groundplane," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 7, 1585-1587, Jul. 2007.
17. Lin, C.-C. and H.-R. Chuang, "A 3-12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008.
18. Fortino, N., G. Kossiavas, J. Y. Dauvignac, and R. Staraj, "Novel antennas for ultra-wideband communications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 41, No. 3, 166-169, May 2004.
19. Zhang, C. and A. E. Fathy, "Development of an ultra-wideband elliptical disc planar monopole antenna with improved omni-directional performance using a modified ground," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1689-1692, Albuquerque, NM, Jul. 9-14, 2006.