The total scattering cross section (TSCS) of various targets is computed in this letter from a numerical method in a reverberation chamber (RC). Theoretically TSCS measurements need both a free-space environment (for instance anechoic chamber modeled numerically by absorbing boundary conditions) and various plane waves' stimulations. The method developed allows predicting the TSCS from few simulations in a RC. The foundations and numerical results presented demonstrate the ability of the technique to straightforward compute the TSCS with the finite difference in time domain (FDTD) method. The agreement from these TSCS treatments in RC is finally obtained considering the expected results in free-space.
2. Hill, D. A., "Plane wave integral representation for fields in reverberation chambers," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 40, No. 3, 209-217, 1998.
3. Moglie, F. and A. P. Pastore, "FDTD analysis of plane waves superposition to simulate susceptibility tests in reverberation chambers," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 48, No. 1, 195-202, 2006.
4., "Reverberation chamber test method," IEC Draft 61000-4-21 Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), Part 4, Section 21, 2000.
5. Alexopoulos, A., "Scattering cross section of a meta-sphere," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 85-91, 2009.
6. Beste, J. M., Reflectivity Measurements, Microwave Antenna Measurements, 3 Ed., J. S. Hollis, T. J. Lyon, and L. Clayton (eds.), Ch. 13, MI Technologies, Suwannee, GA, 2007.
7. Lerosey, G. and J. de Rosny, "Scattering cross section measurement in reverberation chamber," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 49, No. 2, 280-284, 2007.
8. Arnaut, L. R., "Statistic of the quality factor of a rectangular reverberation chamber," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 45, No. 1, 61-76, 2003.
9. Carlberg, U., P.-S. Kildal, A. Wolfgang, O. Sotoudeh, and U. Orlenius, "Calculated and measured absorption cross section of lossy objects in reverberation chamber," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 46, No. 2, 146-154, 2004.
10. Hong, J. I. and C. S. Huh, "Optimization of stirrer with various parameters in reverberation chamber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 15-30, 2010.
11. Ishimaru, A., Wave Propagation and Scattering in Random Media, Ch. 14, Vol. 2, 253-294, Academic, New York, 1978.
12. Yee, K. S., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell's equations in isotropic media," IEEE Trans. Ant. Propagat., Vol. 14, 302-307, 1966.