A planar dual-composite right/left-handed (D-CRLH) transmission line (TL) structure is proposed. The characteristics such as dispersion relation and frequency response of this D-CRLH TL are analyzed by equivalent circuit analysis, Bloch-Floquet theory, full wave simulation and experiment. To demonstrate applications of the proposed structure, both bandstop filter and leaky-wave antenna are designed and implemented by the conventional print circuit board technology. The fabricated filter has a broad application because of its planar structure, small size and tunable stopband. The measured results also suggest that the leaky-wave antenna based on the D-CRLH concept can offer a scanning angle covering almost backfire-to-endfire directions.
2. Rahman, A., Y. Hao, Y. Lee, and C. G. Parini, "Effect of unit-cell size on performance of composite right/left-handed transmission line based leaky-wave antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 13, 2008.
3. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Novel microwave devices and structures based on the transmission line approach of meta-materials," IEEE-MTT Int'l Symp., Vol. 1, 195-198, Jun. 2003.
4. Casares-Miranda, F. P., E. Marquez-Segura, P. Otero, and C. Camacho-Penalosa, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line with wire bonded interdigital capacitor," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 11, Nov. 2006.
5. Gao, J. and L. Zhu, "Characterization of infinite- and finite-extent coplanar waveguide metamaterials with varied left- and right-handed passbands," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 11, Nov. 2005.
6. Horii, Y., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Super-compact multilayered left-handed transmission line and diplexer application," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 4, Apr. 2005.
7. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008.
8. Jimenez Martin, J. L., V. Gonzalez-Posadas, J. E. Gonzalez-Garcia, F. J. Arques-Orobon, L. E. Garcia Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Dual band high efficiency class CE power amplifier based on CRLH diplexer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 217-240, 2009.
9. De Castro-Galan, D., L. E. Garcia Munoz, D. Segovia-Vargas, and V. Gonzalez-Posadas, "Diversity monopulse antenna based on a dual-frequency and dual mode CRLH rat-race coupler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 87-106, 2009.
10. Abdelaziz, A. F., T. M. Abuelfadl, and O. L. Elsayed, "Leaky wave antenna realization by composite right/left-handed transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 39-46, 2009.
11. Huang, J.-Q., Q.-X. Chu, and C.-Y. Liu, "Compact UWB filter based on surface-coupled structure with dual notched bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 311-319, 2010.
12. Huang, J.-Q. and Q.-X. Chu, "Compact UWB band-pass filter utilizing modified composite right/left-handed structure with cross coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 179-186, 2010.
13. Caloz, C., "Dual composite right/left-handed (D-CRLH) transmission line metamaterial," IEEE Micow. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 11, 585-587, Nov. 2006.
14. Ryu, Y. H., J. H. Park, J. H. Lee, and H. S. Tae, "A novel planar lefthanded transmission line using defected ground structure with interdigital gap," Proc. IEEE/AP Symp., 4991-4994, 2007.
15. Ryu, Y. H., J. H. Park, J. H. Lee, J. Y. Kim, and H. S. Tae, "DGS dual composite right/left handed transmission line," IEEE Micow. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 7, 434-436, Jul. 2008.
16. Tong, W., Z. Hu, H. Zhang, and C. Caloz, "Study and realization of dual-composite right/left-handed coplanar waveguide metamaterial in MMIC technology," IET Microwave, Antennas and Propogation, Vol. 2, No. 7, 731-736, 2008.
17. Rennings, A., T. Liebig, C. Caloz, and I. Wolff, "Double-lorentz transmission line metamaterial and its application to tri-band devices," IEEE/MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp., 1427-1430, 2007.
18. Li, B., J. P. Yang, and W. Wu, "A planar microstrip implementation of dual-composite right/left handed transmission line," ICMMT 2008, Vol. 4, 1617-1619, 2008.
19. Caloz, C., S. Abielmona, H. V. Nguyen, and A. Rennings, "Dual composite right/left-handed (D-CRLH) leaky wave antenna with low beam squinting and tunable group velocity," Phys. Stat. Sol. (b), Vol. 244, No. 4, 1219-1226, Mar. 2007.
20. Liu, C. and W. Menzel, "A microstrip diplexer from metamaterial transmission lines," IEEE MTT-S International, 65-68, 2009.
21. Ryu, Y. H., J. H. Park, J. H. Lee, and H. S. Tae, "Multiband antenna using +1, -1, and 0 resonant mode of DGS dual composite right/left handed transmission line," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 21, No. 10, 2485-2488, Oct. 2009.