A new adjustable Electromagnetic Band-Gap (EBG) structure whose frequency response is controllable by adjusting spacer height is proposed. The finite difference time domain method is adopted for the simulations. Results show that the desired frequency response can be selected by adjusting the spacer height. The effects of the air-gap on the polarization dependent and conventional EBG structures have been investigated both theoretically and numerically. The agreement between the theoretical calculations and numerical results is reasonably good.
2. Moghadasi, S. M., A. R. Attari, and M. M. Mirsalehi, "Compact and wideband 1-D mushroom-like EBG filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 323-333, 2008.
3. Xu, H.-J., Y.-H. Zhang, and Y. Fan, "Analysis of the connection between K connector and microstrip with electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 73, 239-247, 2007.
4. Shaban, H. F., H. A. Elmikaty, and A. A. Shaalan, "Study the effects of electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) substrate on two patch microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 10, 55-74, 2008.
5. Scogna, A. C., A. Orlandi, and V. Ricchiuti, "Signal and power integrity analysis of differential lines in multilayer printed circuit boards with embedded electromagnetic bandgap structures," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 52, No. 2, May 2010.
6. Rahmat-Samii, Y. and F. Yang, Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering, Cambridge University Press, 2009.
7. Sievenpiper, D., "Chapter 11: Review of theory, fabrication, and applications of high impedance ground planes," Metamaterials: Physics and Engineering Explorations, edited by N. Engheta and R. Ziolkowski, John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2006.
8. Liang, J. and H. Y. David Yang, "Microstrip patch antennas on tunable electromagnetic and-gap substrates," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 6, 1612-1617, June 2009.
9. Fernández, J. S., G. Goussetis, and R. Cheung, "Tunable 2D Electromagnetic Band-Gap (EBG) structures based on MicroElectro-Mechanical Systems (MEMS) for THz frequencies," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-4, Toronto, 2010.
10. Zhao, X. and L. Zhou, "Theoretical analysis of a novel performance-adjustable EBG-2-D ferrite EBG," Journal of Electronics (China), Vol. 23, No. 3, May 2006.
11. Buell, K., H. Mosallaei, and K. Sarabandi, "A substrate for small patch antennas providing tunable miniaturization factors," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 1, 135-146, 2006.
12. Lee, K. F., K. Y. Ho, and J. S. Dahele, "Circular disc microstrip antenna with an air-gap," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 32, 880-884, August 1984.
13., Dahele, S., S. Mem, and K. F. Lee, "Theory and experiment on microstrip antennas with air gaps," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng., Part H, Vol. 132, No. 7, 455-460, December 1985.
14. Abboud, F., J. P. Damiano, and A. Papiernik, "A new model for calculating the impedance of coax fed circular microstrip antennas with and without air-gaps," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 38, 1882-1885, November 1990.
15. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, Wiley, New York, 1989.
16. Rahman, M. and M. A. Stuchly, "Transmission line-periodic circuit representation of planar microwave photonic bandgap structures," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 1, 15-19, 2001.