A novel tri-band monopole antenna applied to WLAN / WiMAX applications is proposed in this paper. The antenna comprises of two semicircles: one is fed by a microstrip line, and the other is shorted to the ground. By incorporating L-shaped strips, good filter as tri-band performance is achieved. The proposed antenna shows a good multi-band property to satisfy the requirement of WLAN in the 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz bands and WiMAX in the 2.5/3.5/5.5 GHz bands. In addition, a near omni-directional radiation characteristic is also obtained. Experimental data show that the antenna can provide three separate impedance bandwidths of 400 MHz (centered at 2.6 GHz), 400 MHz (centered at 3.4 GHz) and 1100 MHz (centered at 5.3 GHz) with two fine notched bands at the undesired bandwidths.
2. Huang, J.-F., M.-T. Wu, and J.-Y. Wen, "A compact triple-band antenna design for UMTS, WLAN and WiMAX applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2207-2212, 2009.
3. Lee, S.-Y. and C.-C. Yu, "A novel wideband asymmetric hybrid antenna for WLAN/WiMAX application," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 1055-1057, 2009.
4. Lee, Y.-C. and J.-S. Sun, "Compact printed slot antennas for wireless dual and multi-band operations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 289-305, 2008.
5. Gai, S., Y.-C. Jiao, Y.-B. Yang, C.-Y. Li, and J.-G. Gong, "Design of a novel microstrip-fed dual-band slot antenna for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 75-81, 2010.
6. Kang, L., Y.-Z. Yin, S.-T. Fan, and S.-J. Wei, "A novel rectangular slot antenna with embedded self-similar T-shaped strips for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 19-26, 2010.
7. Ren, W., "Compact dual-band slot antenna for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 319-327, 2008.
8. Raj, R. K., M. Joseph, B. Paul, and P. Mohanan, "Compact planar multiband antenna for GPS, DCS, 2.4/5.8 GHz WLAN applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, 48-49, 2005.
9. Liu, W.-C., C.-C. Song, S.-H. Chung, and J.-L. Jaw, "Strip-loaded CPW-fed pentagonal antenna for GPS/WiMAX/WLAN applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 48-52, 2009.
10. George Thomas, K. and M. Sreenivasan, "A novel triple band printed antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2481-2485, 2009.
11. Chen, W.-S. and Y.-H. Yu, "Compact design of T-type monopole antenna with asymmetrical ground plane for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 515-519, 2008.
12. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., S. Saleekaw, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "A rhombic patch monopole antenna with modified minkowski fractal geometry for UMTS, WLAN, and mobile WiMAX application," geometry for UMTS, WLAN, and mobile WiMAX application, Vol. 89, 57-74, 2009.
13. Li, X., L. Yang, S.-X. Gong, and Y.-J. Yang, "Bidirectional high gain antenna for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 99-106, 2009.
14. Song, Y., Y.-C. Jiao, G. Zhao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Multiband CPW-fed triangle-shaped monopole antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 70, 329-336, 2007.