A wideband elliptical bowtie impulse antenna is proposed and investigated in this paper. Simulated results reveal that it can achieve an impedance bandwidth of 141% for S11≤-10 dB, a broadside gain of 2.4-5.3 dB, and stable radiation pattern over the whole operating band. The measured reflection coefficient is less than -10 dB over the frequency from 1.30 to 6.65 GHz, and it agrees well with the simulated results. The characteristics of frequency-domain such as radiation pattern, phase center and time-domain behaviors are discussed. The antenna electrical dimension is 0.31λ0, where λ0 is the free-space wavelength at lower edge of the operating frequency band. Parameters are studied to optimize the antenna performance.
2. Qu, S. W., J. L. Li, Q. Xue, C. H. Chan, and S.-M. Li, "Wideband and unidirectional cavity-back floded triangular bowtie antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 1259-1263, Apr. 2009.
3. Lestari, A. A., et al., "RC-loaded bow-tie antenna for improved pulse radiation," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 52, No. 10, 2555-2563, 2004.
4. Ghosh, D., et al., "Transmission and reception by ultra-wideband," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 48, No. 5, 67-99, Oct. 2006.
5. Mehdipour, A., K. Mohammadpour-Aghdam, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Complete dispersion analysis of vivaldi antenna for ultra wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 85-96, 2007.
6. Pulfer, J. K., "Dispersive properties of broad-band antenna," Proc. IRE, Vol. 49, 644, Mar. 1961.
7. Schantz, H. G., "Dispersion and UWB antennas," Joint UWBST & IWUWBS, 161-165, 2004.
8. Malik, W. Q., C. J. Stevens, and D. J. Edwards, "Spatio-spectral normalisation fur ultra wideband antenna dispersion," High Frequency Postgraduate Student Colloguium, 87-92, 2004.
10. Qu, S. W., J. L. Li, Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "Wideband cavity-backed bowtie antenna with patter improvement," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3850-3854, Dec. 2009.
11. Wang, F.-J., J.-S. Zhang, X.-X. Yang, and G.-P. Gao, "Time domain characteristics of a double-printed UWB dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 161-168, 2008.
12. Z.-A., Q.-X. Chu, "Compact CPW-FED UWB antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 83-91, 2009.
13. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, et al., "Frequency and time domain characteristic of a novel notch frequency UWB antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 337-348, 2008.
14. Wu, Q., R. Jin, and J. Geng, "Pulse preserving capabilities of printed circular disk monopole antennas with different substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 349-360, 2008.
15. Chang, D. C., C. H. Liao, and P. Hsu, "Could the antenna pattern be in energy instead of in power," Antenna Technology, 1-4, 2009.