Solidification of pure aluminum without and with a magnetic field has been investigated by differential thermal analysis (DTA). DTA curves showed that the nucleation temperature of pure aluminum was decreased as a magnetic field strength increased although its melting process was almost not influenced. The nucleation suppression could be attributed to the increase of the solid-liquid interfacial energy which might originate from more orderly arrangement of atoms on the solid-liquid interface upon applying a magnetic field.
2. Berry, M. V. and A. K. Geim, "Of flying frogs and levitron," European Journal of Physics, Vol. 18, 307-313, 1997.
3. De Rango, P., M. Lees, P. Lejay, A. Sulpice, R. Tournier, M. Ingold, P. Germi, and M. Pernet, "Texturing of magnetic materials at high temperature by solidification in a magnetic field," Nature, Vol. 349, 770-772, 1991.
4. Asai, S., K. Sassa, and M. Tahashi, "Crystal orientation of non-magnetic materials by imposition of a high magnetic field," Science and Technology of Advanced Materials, Vol. 4, 455-460, 2003.
5. Joo, H. D., S. U. Kim, N. S. Shin, and Y. M. Koo, "An effect of high magnetic field on phase transformation in Fe-C system," Materials Letters, Vol. 43, 225-229, 2000.
6. Ren, Z. M., X. Li, Y. H. Sun, Y. Gao, K. Deng, and Y. B. Zhong, "Influence of high magnetic field on peritectic transformation during solidification of Bi-Mn alloy," Calphad, Vol. 30, 277-285, 2006.
7. Sun, Z., M. Guo, F. Verhaeghe, J. Vleugels, O. van der Biest, and B. Blanpain, "Magnetic interaction between two nonmagnetic particles migrating in a conductive fluid induced by a strong magnetic field-an analytical approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 1-16, 2010.
8. Ohtsuka, H., "Structural control of Fe-based alloys through diffusional solid/solid phase transformation in a high magnetic field," Science and Technology of Advanced Materials, Vol. 9, 013004, 2008.
9. Shimizu, K. and T. Kakeshita, "Effect of magnetic fields on martensitic transformations in ferrous alloys and steels," ISIJ International, Vol. 29, No. 2, 97-116, 1989.
10. Li, X., Y. Fautrelle, and Z. M. Ren, "High-magnetic-field-induced solidification of diamagnetic Bi," Scripta Materialia, Vol. 59, 407-410, 2008.
11. Li, C. J., Z. M. Ren, and W. L. Ren, "Effect of magnetic field on solid-melt phase transformation in pure bismuth," Materials Letters, Vol. 63, 269-271, 2009.
12. Li, C. J., Z. M. Ren, W. L. Ren, K. Deng, G. H. Cao, Y. B. Zhong, and Y. Q. Wu, "Design and application of differential thermal analysis apparatus in high magnetic fields," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 80, 073907, 2009.
13. Porter, D. A. and K. E. Easterling, Phase Transformations in Metals and Alloys, 2nd Ed., Chapman & Hall, London, 1992.
14. Magomedov, M. N., "On the magnetic-field-induced changes in the parameters of phase transitions," Technical Physics Letters, Vol. 28, No. 2, 116-118, 2002.
15. Monda, K., A. Kumar, G. Gupta, and B. S. Murty, "Temperature and structure dependency of solid-liquid interfacial energy," Acta Materialia, Vol. 57, 3422-3430, 2009.
16. Vinet, B., L. Magnusson, H. Fredriksson, H. Fredriksson, and P. J. Desre, "Correlation between surface and interface energies with respect to crystal nucleation," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 255, 363-374, 2002.
17. Fujimura, Y. and M. Lino, "The surface tension of water under high magnetic fields," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 103, 124903, 2008.
18. Barrett, C. S., Structure of Metals, 224-229, McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., New York, 1943.