Design of a compact planar phase shifter is described that possesses ultra-wideband (UWB) performance. The proposed device is composed of 50Ω input/output microstrip-lines which are connected to a low-impedance rectangular microstrip patch, and located at close proximity to each other. The common ground-plane incorporates a slot-line terminated with two rectangular slots, which are located under the rectangular patches in order to provide effective electromagnetic coupling between the microstrip-line and slot-line. Thus a phase shifter is realized with ultra-wideband characteristics on a single substrate. The length of the slot-line and width of patch determines the desired phase shift required between the input and output ports. It is demonstrated that the design can provide phase shift anywhere between 4°- 27° across the entire UWB frequency band from 3.1 to 10.6 GHz. The simulated results show fixed phase shift 5.625°± 0.865°, 11.25°± 1.93°and 22.5°± 2.5°with insertion-loss less than 0.5 dB and return loss better than 12 dB across the ultra-wideband frequency span. The phase shifter is relatively compact in size with a dimension of 15×25 mm2. The phase shifter was fabricated and its performance measured to validate the simulation results.
2. Free, C. and C. Aitchison, "Improved analysis and design of coupled line phase shifters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 43, No. 9, 2126-2131, Sep. 1995.
3. Schiffman, B., "Multisection microwave phase-shift network," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 14, No. 4, 209, Apr. 1966.
4. Shelton, J. P. and J. A. Mosko, "Synthesis and design of wideband equal ripple TEM directional couplers and fixed phase shifters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 14, No. 10, 246-252, 462--473, 1966.
5. Guo, Y., Z. Zhang, and L. Ong, "Improved wideband schiffman phase shifter," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 3, 1196-1200, Mar. 2006.
6. Taylor, J. and D. Prigel, "Wiggly phase shifters and directional couplers for radio-frequency hybrid-microcircuit applications," IEEE Trans. on Parts, Hybrids and Packaging, Vol. 12, No. 4, 317-323, 1976.
7. Ahn, H. and I. Wolff, "Asymmetric ring-hybrid phase shifters and attenuators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 4, 1146-1155, 2002.
8. Abbosh, A. M., "Ultra-wideband phase shifters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 9, 1935-1939, Sep. 2007.
9. Cheng, Y. J., W. Hong, and K. Wu, "Broadband self-compensating phase shifter combining delay line and equal-length unequal-width phaser," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 1, 203-210, Jan. 2010.
10. Knorr, J., "Slot-line transitions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 22, No. 5, 548-554, May 1974.