This work presents an accurate and realistic positioning approach for indoor environments based on fingerprinting and ray-tracing techniques. Fading caused by multipath seriously degrades the performance of communication systems operating inside buildings. For this reason, the proposed localization method considers multipath effects due to reflections and diffraction from walls, roof and floor. However, fading in indoor environments can also be caused by the movement of people or the presence of furniture. Because people are the primary absorption agents in indoor channels, their influence on the radio propagation channel must be considered. The proposed localization method takes into account the effects of human body shadowing to provide a realistic estimation of the mobile station position. Numerical calculations in real indoor scenarios show reasonable results.
2. Wang, X., Z. X. Wang, and B. O. Dea, "A TOA-based location algorithm reducing the errors due to Non-Line-of-Sight (NLOS) propagation ," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 52, 112-116, 2003.
3. Chan, Y. T., W. Y. Tsui, H. C. So, and P. C. Ching, "Time-of-arrival based localization under NLOS conditions," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 55, 17-24, 2006.
4. Bocquet, M., C. Loyez, and A. Benlarbi-Dela, "Using enhanced-TDOA measurement for indoor positioning," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letter, Vol. 15, No. 10, October 2005.
5. Spencer, Q., M. Rice, B. Jeffs, and M. Jensen, "A statistical model for angle of arrival in indoor multipath propagation," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 3, 1415-1419, 1997.
6. Landesa, L., I. T. Castro, J. M. Taboada, and F. Obelleiro, "Bias of the maximum likelihood DOA estimation from inaccurate knowledge of the antenna array response ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 9, 1205-1217, 2007.
7. Harabi, F., H. Changuel, and A. Gharsallah, "Direction of arrival estimation method using a 2-L shape arrays antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 145-160, 2007.
8. Roos, T., P. Myllymaki, H. Tirri, P. Misikangas, and J. Sievanen, "A probabilistic approach to WLAN user location estimation," International Journal of Wireless Information Networks, Vol. 9, No. 3, 155-164, 2002.
9. Martinez, D., F. Las-Heras, and R. G. Ayestaran, "Fast methods for evaluating the electric field level in 2D-indoor environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 247-255, 2007.
10. Nelson, J. K., M. R. Gupta, J. E. Almodovar, and W. H. Mortensen, "A quasi EM method for estimating multiple transmitter locations," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 16, No. 5, May 2009.
11. Dogandzic, A. and P. Amran, "Signal-strength based localization in wireless fading channels," Proc. Asilomar Conf. Signals, Systems, and Computers, 2160-2164, Nov. 2004.
12. Shuichi, O. and Z. Jens, "A body-shadowing model for indoor radio communication environments," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Prop., Vol. 46, No. 6, June 1998.
13. Ghaddar, M., L. Talbi, T. A. Denidni, and A. Charbonneau, "Modeling human body effects for indoor radio channel using UTD," Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2004.
14. Zhao, Y., Y. Hao, and A. Alomainy, "UWB on-body radio channel modelling using ray theory and sub-band FDTD method," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Special Issue on Ultra-wideband , 2006.
15. Welch, T. B., R. L. Musselman, B. A. Emessiene, P. D. Gift, D. K. Choudhury, D. N. Cassadine, and S. M. Yano, "The e®ects of the human body on UWB signal propagation in an indoor environment," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 20, No. 9, December 2002.
16. Pradubphon, A., S. Promwong, M. Chamchoy, P. Supanakoon, and J. Takada, "Characterization of body shadowing effects on ultra-wideband propagation channel ," ICCAS, 2004.
17. Tayebi, A., J. Gomez, F. Saez de Adana, and O. Gutierrez, "The application of ray-tracing to mobile localization using the direction of arrival and received signal strength in multipath indoor environments ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 1-15, 2009.
18. Perez, C., M. L. Mediavilla, and M. C. Dez, Efectos del trfico de personas sobre la atenuacin en el canal de propagacin en interiores, Simposium de la Unin Internacional de Radio (URSI), 1997 (in Spanish).
19. Saez de Adana, F., O. Gutierrez, I. Gonzalez, J. Perez, and M. F. Catedra, "Propagation model based on Ray-Tracing for the design of personal communication systems in indoor environments," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 49, No. 6, 2000.