An analytic theory for the electromagnetic scattering from a coated perfect electromagnetic conductor (PEMC) sphere is developed. The sphere is characterized by its M parameter, and the coating material by its permittivity and permeability, which may attain arbitrary values, including negative ones. The theory is applied to the calculation of various scattering cross sections. It is found that the scattered fields contain cross polarized components, which do not exist in the case of a coated perfect electric conductor (or perfect magnetic conductor) sphere. Symmetry properties of the solutions, which reflect a generalized form of electric-magnetic duality, are demonstrated.
2. Lindell, I. V. and A. H. Sihvola, "Transformation method for problems involving perfect electromagnetic conductor (PEMC) structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, 3005-3011, 2005.
3. Ruppin, R., "Scattering of electromagnetic radiation by a perfect electromagnetic conductor cylinder ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 1873-1880, 2006.
4. Ruppin, R., "Scattering of electromagnetic radiation by a perfect electromagnetic conductor sphere," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 1569-1576, 2006.
5. Sihvola, A., P. Yla-Oijala, and I. V. Lindell, "Scattering by PEMC (Perfect Electromagnetic Conductor) spheres using surface integral equation approach," ACES J., Vol. 22, 236-249, 2007.
6. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Achieving transparency with plasmonic and metamaterial coatings," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 72, No. 016623, 2005.
7. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, 1780-1782, 2006.
8. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Plasmonic and metamaterial cloaking: Physical mechanisms and potentials," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 10, 1-17, 2008.
9. Morse, P. M. and H. Feshbach, Methods of Theoretical Physics, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1953.
10. Stratton, J., Electromagnetic Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1941.
11. Kerker, M., D. S. Wang, and C. L. Giles, "Electromagnetic scattering by magnetic spheres," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 73, 765-767, 1983.
12. Ziolkowski, R.W., "Propagation in and scattering from a matched metamaterial having a zero index of refraction," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 70, No. 046608, 2004.