In this paper, a complementary meander line split-ring resonator (C-MLSRR) model is proposed and its equivalent circuit model is given. Prototypes of microstrip lines loaded with C-MLSRR with and without series capacitive gaps are designed, which exhibit a negative permittivity behavior (without series capacitive gaps) and a left-handed behavior (with series capacitive gaps), respectively, at two different frequencies. The application of the C-MLSRRs in compact dual band (i.e., 2.52 GHz and 5.35 GHz) notch filter for wideband application is presented to highlight the unique features of the C-MLSRRs.
2. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 84, 4184-4187, May 2000.
3. Marques, R., F. Mesa, J. Martel, and F. Medina, "Comparative analysis of edge and broadside couple split ring resonators for metamaterial design, theory and experiment," IEEE Trans. Ant. Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2572-2581, Oct. 2003.
4. Ran, L. X., J. Huangfu, H. Chen, X. M. Zhang, K.-S. Cheng, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Experimental study on several left-handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 249-279, 2005.
5. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. D. Baena, J. Bonache, R. Marques, F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "Babinet principle applied to the design of metasurfaces and metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 93, 197401-197404, 2004.
6. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, J. D. Baena, R. Marques, F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "Effective negative ε stop-band microstrip lines based on complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Microw.Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, 280-282, Jun. 2004.
7. Baena, J. D., J. Bonache, F. Martin, R. Marques, F. Falcone, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. Garcia-Garcia, I. Gil, M. Flores, and M. Sorolla, "Equivalent circuit models for split ring resonators and complementary split ring resonators coupled to planar transmision lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, Apr. 2005.
8. Zhang, J., B. Cui, S. Lin, and X.-W. Sun, "Sharp-rejection low-pass filter with controllable transmission zero using complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 219-226, 2007.
9. Fan, J.-W., C.-H. Liang, and X.-W. Dai, "Design of cross-coupled dual-band filter with equal-length split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 285-293, 2007.
10. Dai, X.-W., C.-H. Liang, B. Wu, and J. Fan, "Novel dual-band bandpass filter design using microstrip open-loop resonators," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 2, 219-225, 2008.
11. Li, C., K.-Y. Liu, and F. Li, "Design of microstrip highpass filters with complementary split ring resonators," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 1, 35-36, 2007.
12. Kim, J., C. S. Cho, and J. W. Lee, "5.2 GHz notched ultra wideband antenna using slot type SRR," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 6, 315-316, 2006.
13. Bonache, J., I. Gil, J. Garcia-Garcia, and F. Martin, "New microstrip filters based on complementary split rings resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 1, 265-271, Jan. 2006.
14. Bonache, J., F. Martin, I. Gil, J. Garcia-Garcia, and M. Sorolla, "Microstrip bandpass filters with wide bandwidth and compact dimensions," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 46, 343-346, Aug. 2005.
15. Garcia-Garcia, J., F. Martin, F. Falcone, J. Bonache, I. Gil, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, M. Sorolla, and R. Marques, "Spurious passband suppression in microstrip coupled line band pass filters by means of splir ring resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 9, 416-418, Sept. 2004.
16. Garcia-Garcia, J., F. Martin, E. Amat, F. Falcone, J. Bonache, I. Gil, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, A. Marcotegui, M. Sorolla, and R. Marques, "Microwave filters with improved stop band based on sub-wavelength resonators ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 6, 1997-2006, Jun. 2005.
17. Collin, R. E., Field Theory of Guided Waves, 2nd Ed., IEEE Press, US, 1991.
18. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, Dec. 2001.
19. Bonache, J., M. Gil, I. Gil, J. Garcia-Garcia, and F. Martin, "On the electrical characteristics of complementary metamaterial resonators," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon Lett., Vol. 16, 543-545, 2006.
20., Trade mark of Zealand Corp.