In this paper, minimum variance distortionless response (MVDR) algorithm for adaptive Beamforming is applied to a linear array under known mutual coupling among half wavelength dipole (HWD) antennas. This algorithm will minimize the signals from all interference directions while keeping the desired signal undistorted. The problem of calculating mutual coupling coefficient of the array HWD antennas formed into a matrix has been considered. The obtained results show the effectiveness of the proposed method, in which the optimum weighting of adaptive antenna arrays is accomplished by computing the weight vector that achieves maximum towards the desired signal and nulls towards interferers. Also, performance evaluation of this algorithm in terms of complexity, convergence speed, and amplitude response will be present. It is shown from the simulation results that the performance of the beamforming algorithm considering the mutual coupling effect can be improved by the proposed compensation method. We also simulate the signal-to-interference-plus-noise ratio (SINR) with different input signal-to-interference ratio (SIR). The different results obtained are in good agreement with those of the literature.
2. Godara, L. C., Handbook of Antennas in Wireless Communications, 1st Ed., CRC Press, 2002.
3. Ma, Y., J. Wang, M. Chen, Z. Li, and Z. Zhang, "Smart antenna with automatic beam switching for mobile communication," EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Vol. 179, 1-19, 2020.
4. Gross, F., Smart Antenna for Wireless Communication, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2005.
5. Yang, B., W. Li, Y. Li, and C. Yue, "Novel robust adaptive beamforming against unknown mutual coupling," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 35, No. 18, 2447-2467, 2021.
6. Bensalem, M. and O. Barkat, "DOA estimation of linear dipole array with known mutual coupling based on ESPRIT and MUSIC," Radio Science, Vol. 57, No. 2, 1-15, 2022.
7. Kelley, D. F. and W. L. Stutzman, "Array antenna pattern modelling methods that include mutual coupling effects," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 12, 1625-1632, 1993.
8. Gupta, I. and A. Ksienski, "Effect of mutual coupling on the performance of adaptive arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, No. 5, 785-791, 1983.
9. Wallace, J. W. and M. A. Jensen, "Mutual coupling in MIMO wireless systems: A rigorous network theory analysis," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 4, No. 4, 1317-1325, 2004.
10. Dandekar, K. R., H. Ling, and G. Xu, "Experimental study of mutual coupling compensation in smart antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 1, No. 3, 480-487, 2002.
11. Lee, J.-H. and Y. L. Chen, "Performance analysis of antenna array beamformers with mutual coupling effects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 33, 291-215, 2011.
12. Selvaraju, R., M. H. Jamaluddin, M. R. Kamarudin, J. Nasir, and M. H. Dah, "Mutual coupling reduction and pattern error correction in a 5G beamforming linear array using CSRR," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, No. 6, 65922-65934, 2018.
13. Huang, Q., H. Zhou, J. Bao, and X. Shi, "Calibration of mutual coupling effect for adaptive arrays composed of circularly polarized microstrip antennas," Electromagnetics, Vol. 34, 392-401, 2014.
14. Craeye, C. and D. González-Ovejero, "A review on array mutual coupling analysis," Radio Science, Vol. 46, No. 2, 22-25, 2011.
15. Clerckx, B., C. Craeye, D. Vanhoenacker, and C. Oestges, "Impact of antenna coupling on 2 × 2 MIMO communications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 56, No. 3, 1009-1018, 2007.
16. Lau, C. E., R. S. Adve, and T. K. Sarkar, "Minimum norm mutual coupling compensation with applications in direction of arrival estimation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 8, 2034-2041, 2004.
17. Friedlander, B. and A. J. Weiss, "Direction finding in the presence of mutual coupling," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, 277-284, 1991.
18. Widrow, B. and S. D. Stearns, Adaptive Signal Processing, Englewood Cliffs, Prentice-Hall, 1985.
19. Higuchi, T., N. Ito, S. Araki, T. Yoshioka, M. Delcroix, and T. Nakatani, "Online MVDR beamformer based on complex Gaussian mixture model with spatial prior for noise robust ASR," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing, Vol. 25, No. 4, 780-793, 2017.
20. Kubo, Y., T. Nakatani, M. Delcroix, K. Kinoshita, and S. Araki, "Mask-based MVDR beamformer for noisy multisource environments: Introduction of time-varying spatial covariance model," 2019 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP 2019), 6855-6859, 2019.
21. Shahab, S. N., A. R. Zainun, N. H. Noordin, and A. J. Mohamad, "Performance analysis of smart antenna based on MVDR beamformer using rectangular antenna array," ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 10, No. 22, 17132-17138, 2015.
22. Capon, J., "High-resolution frequency-wavenumber spectrum analysis," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 57, No. 8, 1408-1418, 1987.
23. Ali, R., T. V. Waterschoot, and M. Moonen, "An integrated MVDR beamformer for speech enhancement using a local microphone array and external microphones," EURASIP J. Audio Speech Music Process, Vol. 10, 1-20, 2021.
24. Higuchi, T., N. Ito, S. Araki, T. Yoshioka, M. Delcroix, and T. Nakatani, "Online MVDR beamformer based on complex Gaussian mixture model with spatial prior for noise robust ASR," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing, Vol. 25, No. 4, 780-793, 2017.
25. Wang, B., F. Chen, and H. Ge, "Subspace projection semi-real-valued MVDR algorithm based on vector sensors array processing," Neural Computing and Applications, Vol. 32, 173-181, 2020.
26. Barkat, O., "Modeling and optimization of radiation characteristics of triangular superconducting microstrip antenna array," Computational Electronics, Vol. 13, 657-665, 2014.
27. Barkat, O. and A. Benghalia, "Radiation pattern synthesis for linear arrays of microstrip antennas on uniaxially anistropic substrate," IEEE International Conference on Computational Cybernetics, 209-213, 2007.
28. Veerendra, D. and A. Mukil, "Adaptive Beamformers for high speed mobile communication," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 113, 1691-1707, 2020.