This article presents a circularly polarized (CP) dual lens (DL) antenna with high gain and wide axial ratio (AR) bandwidth for automotive radar applications. Proposed antenna system provides low AR and scan loss over a wide angular range. It consists of a linearly polarized (LP), wide band, aperture coupled planar feed antenna, an extended hemispherical lens and a planoconvex lens with thin parallel plates and air slabs. In-lens polarizer mounted to the flat surface of the planoconvex lens converts LP wave to CP state. Fundamental design rules to obtain CP is defined. A CP DL design in low dielectric permittivity material (εr=3) is introduced. It achieves simulated efficiency that varies between 75 and 82% within the 77-81 GHz automotive radar band. AR is below 2.2 dB for all scan angles up to 25˚. Realized gain at boresight radiation is 25.6 dBic at the center frequency. 0.85 dB scan loss is observed at ±30˚ scan angle. A frequency-scaled prototype has been fabricated by additive manufacturing process with fused deposition modeling, and the concept is proved by the experimental results in 22-28 GHz band.
2. Rappaport, T. S., et al., "Millimeter wave mobile communications for 5G cellular: It will work!," IEEE Access, Vol. 1, 335-349, May 2013.
3. Roh, W., et al., "Millimeter-wave beamforming as an enabling technology for 5G cellular communications: Theoretical feasibility and prototype results," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 2, 106-113, Feb. 2014.
4. Yang, B., Z. Yu, J. Lan, R. Zhang, J. Zhou, and W. Hong, "Digital beamforming-based massive MIMO transceiver for 5G millimeter-wave communications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 66, No. 7, 3403-3418, Jul. 2018.
5. Campo, M. A., G. Carluccio, D. Blanco, O. Litschke, S. Bruni, and N. Llombart, "Wideband circularly polarized antenna with in-lens polarizer for high-speed communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 69, No. 1, 43-54, Jan. 2021, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2020.3008638.
6. Hong, W., et al., "Multibeam antenna technologies for 5G wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 12, 6231-6249, Dec. 2017.
7. Wang, C., J. Wu, and Y. Guo, "A 3-D-printed multibeam dual circularly polarized luneburg lens antenna based on quasi-icosahedron models for Ka-band wireless applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 68, No. 8, 5807-5815, Aug. 2020.
8. Wu, X., G. V. Eleftheriades, and T. E. van Deventer-Perkins, "Design and characterization of single- and multiple-beam mm-Wave circularly polarized substrate lens antennas for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 49, No. 3, 431-441, 2001.
9. Fernandes, C. A., "Shaped-beam antennas," Handbook of Antennas in Wireless Communications, L. Godara, Ed., Ch. 15, CRC Press, New York, 2002.
10. Godi, G., R. Sauleau, and D. Thouroude, "Performance of reduced size substrate lens antennas for millimeter-wave communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1278-1286, Apr. 2005.
11. Costa, J. R., C. A. Fernandes, G. Godi, R. Sauleau, L. Le Coq, and H. Legay, "Compact Ka-band lens antennas for LEO satellites," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 5, 1251-1258, May 2008.
12. Neto, A., "UWB, non-dispersive radiation from the planarly fed leaky lens antenna --- Part 1: Theory and design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2238-2247, Jul. 2010.
13. Nguyen, N. T., N. Delhote, M. Ettorre, D. Baillargeat, L. Le Coq, and R. Sauleau, "Design and characterization of 60-GHz integrated lens antennas fabricated through ceramic stereolithography," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 8, 2757-2762, Aug. 2010.
14. Nguyen, N. T., R. Sauleau, and L. Le Coq, "Reduced-size double-shell lens antenna with flat-top radiation pattern for indoor communications at millimeter waves," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 6, 2424-2429, Jun. 2011.
15. Filipovic, D. F., S. S. Gearhart, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Double-slot antennas on extended hemispherical and elliptical silicon dielectric lenses," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 41, No. 10, 1738-1749, Oct. 1993.
16. Van Rudd, J. and D. M. Mittleman, "Influence of substrate-lens design in terahertz time-domain spectroscopy," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 19, No. 2, 319-328, 2002.
17. Fernandes, C., E. B. Lima, and J. R. Costa, "Broadband integrated lens for illuminating reflector antenna with constant aperture efficiency," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3805-3813, 2010.
18. Raman, S., N. S. Barker, and G. M. Rebeiz, "A W-band dielectric lens based integrated monopulse radar receiver," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 12, 2308-2316, 1998.
19. Nguyen, N. T., R. Sauleau, M. Ettorre, and L. Le Coq, "Focal array fed dielectric lenses: An attractive solution for beam reconfiguration at millimeter waves," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 6, 2152-2159, 2011.
20. Nguyen, N. T., A. V. Boriskin, L. Le Coq, and R. Sauleau, "Improvement of the scanning performance of the extended hemispherical integrated lens antenna using a double lens focusing system," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 8, 3698-3702, Aug. 2016, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2016.2572227.
21. Yoneda, N., R. Miyazaki, I. Matsumura, and M. Yamato, "A design of novel grooved circular waveguide polarizers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 48, No. 12, 2446-2452, Dec. 2000.
22. Wang, S.-W., C.-H. Chien, C.-L. Wang, and R.-B. Wu, "A circular polarizer designed with a dielectric septum loading," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 52, No. 7, 1719-172, Jul. 2004.
23. Letizia, M., B. Fuchs, A. Skrivervik, and J. R. Mosig, "Circularly polarized homogeneous lens antenna system providing multibeam radiation pattern for HAPS," Radio Sci. Bull., Vol. 332, 18-28, Mar. 2010.
24. Cai, Y., Y. Zhang, Z. Qian, W. Cao, and S. Shi, "Compact wideband dual circularly polarized substrate integrated waveguide horn antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 7, 3184-3189, Jul. 2016.
25. Farooqui, M. F. and A. Shamim, "3-D inkjet-printed helical antenna with integrated lens," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 8, 800-803, Aug. 2016.
26. Sammeta, R. and D. S. Filipovic, "Improved efficiency lens-loaded cavity-backed transmit sinuous antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 12, 6000-6009, Dec. 2014.
27. Xue, L. and V. Fusco, "Polarisation insensitive planar dielectric slab waveguide extended hemi-elliptical lens," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 4, 312-315, Jun. 2008.
28. Shi, Z., S. Yang, S.-W. Qu, and Y. Chen, "Circularly polarised planar Luneberg lens antenna for mm-Wave wireless communication," Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 15, 1281-1282, 2016.
29. Wang, K. X. and H. Wong, "Design of a wideband circularly polarized millimeter-wave antenna with an extended hemispherical lens," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 8, 4303-4308, Aug. 2018.
30. Ozpinar, H., S. Aksimsek, and N. T. Tokan, "A novel compact, broadband, high gain millimeter-wave antenna for 5G beam steering applications," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Techn., Vol. 69, No. 3, 2389-2397, Mar. 2020.
31. Sönmez, N., F. Tokan, and N. Tokan, "Double lens antennas in millimeter-wave automotive radar sensors," Applied Comp. Electromag. Soc. Journal, Vol. 32, 901-907, 2017.
32. Pan, Y. M. and K. W. Leung, "Wideband circularly polarized dielectric bird-nest antenna with conical radiation pattern," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 2, 563-570, Feb. 2013.
33. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, 705-708, Pergamon, London, U.K., 1980.
34. Wang, K. X. and H. Wong, "A wideband millimeter-wave circularly polarized antenna with 3-D printed polarizer," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 3, 1038-1046, Mar. 2017.
35. Alcep, M. and F. Tokan, "Impedance matching technique with perforated, inhomogeneous layers for broadband dielectric lenses," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 21, No. 18, 20018-20026, Sept. 2021.