The wireless power transfer (WPT) system for implantable medical devices has the problem that the output voltage is difficult to adjust stably in real time without using additional composite compensation topology and dual-side communication. A primary side control method of WPT system based on a phase shifted full bridge inverter and continuous control set model predictive control (MPC) is proposed. First, the series-series (SS) structure parameters and fundamental harmonic analysis (FHA) are used to derive the estimated value of the output voltage and establish the output voltage prediction model of the system. Then, to obtain the best response of the system, the optimization problem in the controller is transformed into the problem of solving the minimum value of the cost function, and the optimal control variable is obtained limited below the gradient descent method. Simulated and experimental results show that the control system works at a frequency of 200 kHz to realize real-time voltage adjustment, and the steady-state error is within 2%. Compared with the traditional method, the method reduces the adjustment time by 5-10 ms, and voltage overshoot is reduced by 5.3-6.7% when interference factors are dealt with such as load interference and mutual inductance. The proposed method improves the performance of SS compensated WPT systems to be more suitable for the applications that require compact and light weight receiver. It provides an effective method to realize the real-time regulation of the system output voltage.
2. Martínez Rojas, J. A., J. L. Fernández, and R. Sánchez Montero, "Model-based systems engineering applied to trade-off analysis of wireless power transfer technologies for implanted biomedical microdevices," Sensors, Vol. 21, No. 9, 3201, 2021.
3. Fachrizal, R. and J. Munkhammar, "Improved photovoltaic self-consumption in residential buildings with distributed and centralized smart charging of electric vehicles," Energies, Vol. 13, No. 5, 1153, 2020.
4. Zhang, Z., H. Pang, A. Georgiadis, and C. Cecati, "Wireless power transfer --- An overview," Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 66, No. 2, 1044-1058, 2018.
5. Ann, S. and B. K. Lee, "Analysis of impedance tuning control and synchronous switching technique for a semibridgeless active rectifier in inductive power transfer systems for electric vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 36, No. 8, 8786-8798, 2021.
6. Yang, Y., W. Zhong, and S. Kiratipongvoot, "Dynamic improvement of series-series compensated wireless power transfer systems using discrete sliding mode control," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 33, No. 7, 6351-6360, 2017.
7. Liu, G., J. Bai, and Y. Cui, "Frequency compound control method of MCR-WPT system," Electric Machines and Control, Vol. 24, No. 2, 9, 2020.
8. Miller, J. M., O. C. Onar, and M. Chinthavali, "Primary-side power ow control of wireless power transfer for electric vehicle charging," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 3, 147-162, March 2015.
9. Naghash, R., S. M. M. Alavi, and S. E. Afjei, "Robust control of wireless power transfer despite load and data communications uncertainties," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 4, 4897-4905, 2020.
10. Hu, H., T. Cai, S. Duan, X. Zhang, J. Niu, and H. Feng, "An optimal variable frequency phase shift control strategy for ZVS operation within wide power range in IPT systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 35, No. 5, 5517-5530, May 2020.
11. Su, Y.-G., "Load and mutual inductance identification from the primary side of inductive power transfer system with parallel-tuned secondary power pickup," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 33, No. 11, 9952-9962, 2018.
12. Xiao, W., R. Shen, B. Zhang, D. Qiu, Y. Chen, and F. Xie, "Multiple parameters estimation based on transmitter side information in wireless power transfer system," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 164835-164843, 2019.
13. Song, K., Z. Li, and J. Jiang, "Constant current/voltage charging operation for series-series and series-parallel compensated wireless power transfer systems employing primary-side controller," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 33, No. 9, 8065-8080, 2017.
14. Li, Z., H. Liu, and Y. Tian, "Constant current/voltage charging for primary-side controlled wireless charging system without using dual-side communication," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 36, No. 12, 13562-13577, 2021.
15. Wang, Y. and S. Boyd, "Fast model predictive control using online optimization," IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 18, No. 2, 267-278, 2009.
16. Urrutia, M., R. Cardenas, and J. C. Clare, "Circulating current control for the modular multilevel matrix converter based on model predictive control," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 5, 6069-6085, 2021.
17. Xue, C., D. Zhou, and Y. Li, "Hybrid model predictive current and voltage control for LCL-filtered grid-connected inverter," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 5, 5747-5760, 2021.
18. Chen, L., S. Shao, and Q. Xiao, "Model predictive control for dual-active-bridge converters supplying pulsed power loads in naval DC micro-grids," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 35, No. 2, 1957-1966, 2019.
19. Zhou, Z., L. Zhang, Z. Liu, Q. Chen, R. Long, and H. Su, "Model predictive control for the receiving-side DC-DC converter of dynamic wireless power transfer," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 35, No. 9, 8985-8997, 2020.
20. Shi, W., J. Deng, and Z. Wang, "The start-up dynamic analysis and one cycle control-PD control combined strategy for primary-side controlled wireless power transfer system," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 14439-14450, 2018.
21. Liu, S., R. Mai, L. Zhou, Y. Li, J. Hu, Z. He, Z. Yan, and S. Wang, "Dynamic improvement of inductive power transfer systems with maximum energy efficiency tracking using model predictive control: Analysis and experimental verification," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 35, No. 12, 12752-12764, 2020.
22. Qi, C., Z. Lang, and L. Su, "Finite-control-set model predictive control for a wireless power transfer system," 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Predictive Control of Electrical Drives and Power Electronics (PRECEDE), IEEE, 2019.
23. Garayalde, E., I. Aizpuru, and U. Iraola, "Finite control set MPC vs continuous control set MPC performance comparison for synchronous buck converter control in energy storage application," 2019 International Conference on Clean Electrical Power (ICCEP), 2019.