A triangle-shaped proximity-fed circularly polarized antenna with a modified fractal ground structure is introduced in this paper. The antenna's ground plane is employed with a fractal-shaped corporate feed type cut, which helps produce the circular polarization. The proximity feed is offset from the center to generate the orthogonal modes; furthermore, the fractal modified ground aids in enhancing the axial ratio bandwidth. Different iterations of the basic fractal unit improve the polarization purity and the axial ratio bandwidth. The designed antenna reflection coefficients below -10 dB at 2.45 GHz show an impedance bandwidth of 250 MHz (2.25 GHz to 2.50 GHz) and axial ratio bandwidth of 90 MHz (2.40 GHz to 2.49 GHz). The simulated and measured results show a good agreement.
2. James, J. R., P. S. Hall, and C. Wood, Microstrip Antenna, Peter Peregrinus, 1981.
3. Helszajn, J. and D. S. James, "Planar triangular resonators with magnetic walls," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 26, No. 2, 95-100, Feb. 1978.
4. Haneishi, M., T. Nambara, and S. Yoshida, "A design method of circularly polarised rectangular microstrip antenna by one-point feed," Electronics and communication, Japan, 1981.
5. Haneishi, M., T. Nambara, and S. Yoshida, "Study on ellipticity properties of single-feed-type circularly polarised microstrip antennas," IEEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 18, No. 5, 191-193, 1982.
6. Lu, J.-H. and K.-L. Wong, "Single-feed circularly polarized equilateral-triangular microstrip antenna with a tuning stub," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 12, 1869-1872, Dec. 2000.
7. Yang, K. P., K. L.Wong, and J. H. Lu, "Compact circularly polarized triangular microstrip antenna with Y-shaped slot," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, 31-34, Jan. 1999.
8. Lu, J. H., H. C. Yu, and K. L.Wong, "Compact circular polarization design of equilateral-triangular microstrip antenna with spur lines," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, 1989-1990, Oct. 1998.
9. Lu, J. H., C. L. Tang, and K. L. Wong, "Single-feed slot-loaded equilateral-triangular microstrip antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, 1174-1178, Sept. 1999.
10. Karimabadi, S. S., Y. Mohsenzadeh, A. R. Attari, and S. M. Moghadasi, "Bandwidth enhancement of single-feed circularly polarized equilateral triangular microstrip antenna," PIERS Proceedings, 147-150, Hangzhou, China, Mar. 24-28, 2008.
11. Wei, K., J. Y. Li, L. Wang, R. Xu, and Z. J. Xing, "A new technique to design circularly polarized microstrip antenna by fractal defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 7, 3721-3725, Jul. 2017.
12. Prajapati, P. R., G. G. K. Murthy, A. Patnaik, and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Design and testing of a compact circularly polarised microstrip antenna with the fractal defected ground structure for L-band applications," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 11, 1179-1185, 2015.
13. Tanaka, T., M. Takahashi, and K. Ito, "Miniaturization of circularly polarized patch antenna using circular sector element," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterials, 209-212, 2006.
14. Tiwari, H. and M. Kartikeyan, "A stacked microstrip patch antenna with fractal shaped defects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 14, 185-195, 2010.
15. Gupta, S., S. Patil, C. Dalela, and B. K. Kanaujia, "Analysis and design of inclined fractal defected ground-based circularly polarized antenna for CA-band applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 13, No. 4, 397-406, 2021.
16. Radhakrishnan, R. and S. Gupta, "Axial ratio tuned circularly polarized slot-loaded antenna for S-band and C-band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 113, 239-249, 2021.
17. Gupta, S., B. K. Kanaujia, C. Dalela, and S. Patil, "Design of circularly polarized antenna using inclined fractal defected ground structure for S-band applications," Electromagnetics, 1-15, 2020.
18. Ambekar, A. G., A. A. Deshmukh, and V. A. P. Chavali, "Investigation into circular polarized response of square microstrip antenna using defected ground structure," International Conference on Communication information and Computing Technology (ICCICT), 2021.
19. Tang, X., Z. Yao, Y. Li, W. Zong, G. Liu, and F. Shan, "A high performance UWB MIMO antenna with defected ground structure and U-shape branches," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 2, 21, 2020.
20. Wei, K., B. Zhu, and M. Tao, "The circular polarization diversity antennas achieved by a fractal defected ground structure," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 92030-92036, 2019.
21. Baharuddin, M., V. Wissan, J. T. Sri Sumantyo, and H. Kuze, "Equilateral triangular microstrip antenna for circularly-polarized synthetic aperture radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 8, 107-120, 2009.
22. Deshmukh, A. A. and K. P. Ray, "Circularly polarized designs of modified isosceles triangular microstrip antennas," Engineering Reports, Vol. 2, No. 10, Jun. 2020.
23. Ansys HFSS version 2020 R1, .
24. Reddy, V. V. and N. V. S. N. Sarma, "Compact circularly polarized asymmetrical fractal boundary microstrip antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 118-121, 2014.
25. Pandey, S. K., G. P. Pandey, and P. M. Sarun, "Circularly polarized microstrip antenna with fractal trees loaded ground plane," Electromagnetics, Vol. 39, No. 7, 505-523, 2019.
26. Zhang, Z.-L., K. Wei, J. Xie, J.-Y. Li, and L. Wang, "The new C-shaped parasitic strip for the single-feed Circularly Polarized (CP) microstrip antenna design," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2019, 2019.
27. Wei, K., J.-L. Wang, R. Xu, and X. Ai, "A new periodic fractal parasitic structure to design the circularly polarized microstrip antenna for the satellite navigation system," IET Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 15, No. 15, 1891-1898, 2021.
28. Samsuzzaman Md., I. and T. Mohammad, "Circularly polarized broadband printed antenna for wireless applications," Sensors, Vol. 18, No. 12, 4261, 2018.
29. Singh, M. P., R. K. Jaiswal, K. V. Srivastava, and S. Ghosh, "A miniaturized triple-band circularly polarized antenna using meander geometry," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 36, No. 2, 286-236, 2022.