In this work, a dual-band compact MIMO antenna for sub-6 GHz 5G applications has been designed, simulated and implemented. Firstly, a single patch antenna was designed and simulated, and its dimensions were adjusted to exhibit a dual band performance at 3.6 GHz and 5.9 GHz. A two-element MIMO structure was then designed with a defected ground structure, and the S-parameters were recorded. The results showed that the designed MIMO antenna exhibited multiband performance at the sub-6G frequency band with almost omnidirectional radiation pattern and acceptable gain. The achieved results are promising, making the proposed antenna a good candidate for 5G applications. The proposed antennas were fabricated, and their basic parameters such as return loss and radiation pattern were tested experimentally and compared with simulation results. An acceptable agreement was achieved between measurement and simulation results.
2. Sabaawi, A. M. A. and K. M. Younus, "Multiband handset antenna system for UMTS/LTE/WLAN/sub-6 5G and mmWave 5G future smartphones," Periodica Polytechnica Elec- trical Engineering and Computer Science, Vol. 66, No. 2, 2022.
3. Sharma, N. and S. S. Bhatia, "Stubs and slits loaded partial ground plane inspired hexagonal ring- shaped fractal antenna for multiband wireless applications: Design and measurement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 112, 99-111, 2021.
4. Ahmad, I., H. Dildar, W. U. R. Khan, S. A. A. Shah, S. Ullah, S. Ullah, S. M. Umar, M. A. Albreem, M. H. Alsharif, and K. Vasudevan, "Design and experimental analysis of multiband compound reconfigurable 5G antenna for sub-6 GHz wireless applications," Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, Vol. 2021, 2021.
5. Chen, Q., H. Lin, J. Wang, L. Ge, Y. Li, and T. Pei, "Single ring slot-based antennas for metal-rimmed 4G/5G smartphones," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 3, 1476-1487, 2018.
6. Bhatia, S. S. and N. Sharma, "Modified spokes wheel shaped MIMO antenna system for multiband and future 5G applications: Design and measurement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 117, 261-276, 2021.
7. Li, Y., Y. Luo, and G. Yang, "Multiband 10-antenna array for sub-6 GHz MIMO applications in 5-G smartphones," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 28041-28053, 2018.
8. Anzaldo, D., "Backhaul alternatives for 4G/5G hetnet base stations Part 1 --- Equipment trends and solution toolbox,", 2014, [Online], Available: https://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/en/an/AN6544.pdf.
9. Al Abbas, E., M. Ikram, A. T. Mobashsher, and A. Abbosh, "MIMO antenna system for multi-band millimeter-wave 5G and wideband 4G mobile communications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 181916-181923, 2019.
10. Shareef, O. A., A. M. A. Sabaawi, K. S. Muttair, M. F. Mosleh, and M. B. Almashhdany, "Design of multi-band millimeter wave antenna for 5G smartphones," Indonesian Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Vol. 25, No. 1, 382-387, 2022.
11. Muttair, K. S., O. A. Shareef, A. M. A. Sabaawi, and M. F. Mosleh, "Design of multiple-input and multiple-output antenna for modern wireless applications," Telkomnika, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2022.
12. Masoodi, I. S., I. Ishteyaq, and K. Muzaffar, "Extra compact two element sub 6 GHz MIMO antenna for future 5G wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 102, 37-45, 2022.
13. Desai, A., M. Palandoken, I. Elfergani, I. Akdag, C. Zebiri, J. Bastos, J. Rodriguez, and R. A. Abd- Alhameed, "Transparent 2-element 5G MIMO antenna for sub-6 GHz applications," Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 2, 251, 2022.
14. Serghiou, D., M. Khalily, V. Singh, A. Araghi, and R. Tafazolli, "Sub-6 GHz dual-band 8 × 8 MIMO antenna for 5G smartphones," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 9, 1546-1550, 2020.
15. Yang, K., "Research and design of a high isolation 5G antenna for smart phone," 2020 3rd International Conference on Information and Computer Technologies (ICICT), 507-510, IEEE, 2020.
16. Dileepan, D., S. Natarajan, and R. Rajkumar, "A high isolation multiband MIMO antenna without decoupling structure for WLAN/WiMax/5G applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 112, 207-219, 2021.
17. Abdurrahim, T., "G-shaped band-notched ultra-wideband MIMO antenna system for mobile terminals," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 5, 718-725, Apr. 2017.
18. Iqbal, A., O. A. Saraereh, A. W. Ahmad, and S. Bashir, "Mutual coupling reduction using F-shaped stubs in UWB-MIMO antenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 2755-2759, Dec. 2017.
19. Jabire, A. H., H. X. Zheng, A. Abdu, and Z. Song, "Characteristic mode analysis and design of wide band MIMO antenna consisting of metamaterial unit cell," Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 1, 68, Jan. 2019.
20. Kumar, P., S. Urooj, and F. Alrowais, "Design and implementation of quad-port MIMO antenna with dual-band elimination characteristics for ultra-wideband applications," Applied Sciences, Vol. 10, No. 5, 1715, Feb. 2020.