In this paper, we present a gain-enhancement technique for reflectarray applications with compact aperture size and a low profile. To increase antenna gain, reflectarrays are constructed as an electrically large aperture, and the feed is required to be of high directivity, which is accompanied by a longer focal length. This increases the dimensions in two aspects, including the physical aperture size and the profile of the overall structure. To obtain high gain with compact dimensions, we develop a reflectarray that uses an active-integrated feeding antenna. This feeding antenna is connected to a microwave power amplifier, which enhances the gain without reducing the half-power beam widths (HPBWs) of the patterns. Accordingly, the feed can be arranged with a shorter focal length, whereas the spillover efficiency is still high. Moreover, the power amplifier contributes additional gain of 20.6 dB, and thus the proposed structure can achieve realized gain as high as 44.5 dB with dimensions of 9.2 × 6.7 square wavelengths. Such a high-gain and compact antenna is particularly suitable for satellite applications.
2. Encinar, J. A. and J. A. Zornoza, "Three-layer printed reflectarrays for contoured beam space applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1138-1148, May 2004.
3. Encinar, J. A., et al., "Dual-polarization dual-coverage reflectarray for space applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 10, 2828-2837, Oct. 2006.
4. Hum, S. V. and J. Perruisseau-Carrier, "Reconfigurable reflectarrays and array lenses for dynamic antenna beam control: A review," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 1, 183-198, Jan. 2014.
5. Narayanasamy, K., G. N. A. Mohammed, K. Savarimuthu, R. Sivasamy, and M. Kanagasabai, "A comprehensive analysis on the state-of-the-art developments in re ectarray, transmitarray, and transmit-re ectarray antennas," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aid. Eng., Vol. 30, No. 9, 1-22, Sep. 2020.
6. Zebrowski, M., "Illumination and spillover efficiency calculations for rectangular reflectarray antennas," High Freq. Des., Vol. 1, 28-38, Dec. 2012.
7. Chahat, N., R. E. Hodges, J. Sauder, M. Thomson, E. Peral, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "CubeSat deployable Ka-band mesh reflector antenna development for earth science missions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 6, 2083-2093, Jun. 2016.
8. Vourch, C. J. and T. D. Drysdale, "Bull's eye' antenna for cubesat applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1092-1095, Jun. 2014.
9. Babuscia, A., et al., "Inflatable antenna for CubeSat: A new spherical design for increased X-band gain," Proc. IEEE Aerospace Conference, 1-10, Big Sky, MT, USA, Mar. 2017.
10. Moharram, M. A. and A. A. Kishk, "A Ka-band optically transparent reflectarray design integrated with solar cells," Proc. IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Wireless Broadband (ICUWB), 1-4, Montreal, Canada, Oct. 2015.
11. Qin, F., et al., "Wideband circularly polarized Fabry-Perot antenna [antenna applications corner]," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 57, No. 5, 127-135, Oct. 2015.
12. Padilla, J., G. Rosati, A. Ivanov, F. Bongard, S. Vaccaro, and J. Mosig, "Multi-functional miniaturized slot antenna system for small satellites," Proc. Eur. Conf. Antennas Propag. (EuCAP 2011), 2170-2174, Rome, Italy, May 2011.
13. McNicholas, M., J. Deluna, R. Manno, and Y.-H. Shu, "Low cost Ka-band transmitter for CubeSat systems," Proc. Topical Workshop Internet Space (TWIOS), 1-4, Phoenix, AZ, USA, Jan. 2017.
14. Dahri, M. H., et al., "Aspects of efficiency enhancement in reflectarrays with analytical investigation and accurate measurement," Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 11, 1-26, Nov. 2020.
15. Hang, C. Y., W. R. Deal, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "Push-pull power amplier integrated with microstrip leaky-wave antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 22, 1891-1893, Oct. 1999.
16. Robert, B., T. Razban, and A. Papiernik, "Compact amplifier integration in square patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 19, 1808-1810, Sep. 1992.
17. Dhar, S. K., O. Hammi, M. S. Sharawi, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Power amplifier based integrated and miniaturized active antenna," Proc. 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, Lisbon, Portugal, Apr. 2015.
18. Chen, Y.-S., Y.-H. Wu, and C.-C. Chung, "Solar-powered active integrated antennas backed by a transparent reflectarray for CubeSat applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 137934-137946, 2020.
19. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Edition, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2005.