A novel design of a 4×4 miniaturized UWB-MIMO (multiple-input, multiple-output) antenna with isolation improvement is proposed in this paper. The designing procedure of a flower-shaped MIMO antenna is done using characteristic mode analysis (CMA). The flower shaped UWB-MIMO antenna is made up of four symmetrical flower-shaped radiating elements that are isolated using an orthogonal method. The flower antenna's dimensions are 40x40x1.6 mm3 (0.44λ0x0.44λ0x0.017λ0). A flower-shaped radiator is used to get good the isolation in MIMO elements. Further isolation is enhanced by inserting a swastik-shaped stub on the ground to get return losses of S11<-10 and isolation of S12<-18 dB. The designed antenna covers the entire UWB (3.1-14 GHz) spectrum for impedance matching, including (10.7 to 11.7 GHz), 11 GHz (10.7 to 11.7 GHz), and 13 GHz (10.7 to 11.7 GHz) (12.75 to 13.25 GHz). Good diversity performance is achieved in the UWB and ITU range. The designed antenna has a gain of 5.5 dB, an efficiency of 89%, an impedance bandwidth of 123.61%, an envelope correlation coefficient of 0.0012, a diversity gain of nearer to 10 dB, a capacity channel loss of 0.29 bps/Hz, and a mean effective gain of less than -3.1 dB. The designed antenna is fabricated and tested. These simulated results are validated in state-of-the-art laboratories. According to the simulation and measurement results, this antenna is well suited for reliable wireless communication systems. The potentiality of the designed antenna is high, and the antenna is compact and portable.
2. Kaiser, T., F. Zheng, and E. Dimitrov, "An overview of ultra-wide-band systems with MIMO," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 97, 285-312, 2009.
3. Jiang, C. and L. J. Cimini, "Antenna selection for energy-efficient MIMO transmission," IEEE Wireless Commun. Lett., Vol. 1, No. 6, 577-580, 2012.
4. Radhi, A. H., R. Nilavalan, Y. Wang, H. S. Al-Raweshidy, A. A. Eltokhy, and N. Ab Aziz, "Mutual coupling reduction with a wideband planar decoupling structure for UWB-MIMO antennas," Int. J. Microwave Wireless Technol., Vol. 10, No. 10, 1-12, 2018.
5. Chithradevi, R. and B. S. Sreeja, "A compact UWB MIMO antenna with high isolation and low correlation for wireless applications," 2017 IEEE International Conference on Antenna Innovations & Modern Technologies for Ground, Aircraft and Satellite Applications (iAIM), 1-4, Banglore, India, Nov. 24-26, 2017.
6. Mao, C.-X. and Q.-X. Chu, "Compact coradiator UWB-MIMO antenna with dual polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 9, 4474-4480, 2014.
7. Naveen, J., G. S. Dev, T. Ekta, K. Dinesh, K. B. Kumar, and S. Shweta, "Triple band notched mushroom and uniplanar EBG structures based UWB MIMO/diversity antenna with enhanced wide band isolation," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 90, 36-44, 2018.
8. Iftikhar, A., B. D. Braaten, and D. E. Anagnostou, "An eight element, compact UWB-MIMO antenna with WLAN band rejection capabilities for 3G/4G/5G communications," IEEE Open J. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 1, 196-206, 2020.
9. Iftikhar, A., S. M. Asif, and B. D. Braaten, D. E. Anagnostou, "Ultra-compact recongurable band reject UWB MIMO antenna with four radiator. MDPI," Electronics, Vol. 9, 1-9, 2020.
10. Khan, M. S., et al., "Compact 3-D eight elements UWB-MIMO array," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, No. 8, 1967-1971, 2018.
11. Jafri, S. I., R. Saleem, M. F. Shaque, and A. K. Brown, "Compact reconfigurable multiple- input-multiple-output antenna for ultra wideband applications," IET Microwave Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 4, 413-419, 2015.
12. Nikam, B. V. and M. R. Jadhav, "A compact quad port band-notched MIMO antenna for Wi-Max applications with low mutual coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 104, 53-67, 2020.
13. Tiwari, R. N., P. Singh, B. K. Kanaujia, and K. Srivastava, "Neutralization technique based two and four port high isolation MIMO antennas for UWB communication," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 110, 152828, 2019.
14. Jehangir, S. S. and M. S. Sharawi, "A miniaturized UWB biplanar Yagi-like MIMO antenna system," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Lett., Vol. 16, 2320-2323, 2017.
15. Anitha, R., P. V. Vinesh, K. C. Prakash, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudev, "A compact quad element slotted ground wideband antenna for MIMO applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 10, 4550-4553, 2016.
16. Wae, A. and A. A. Ibrahim, "A compact double-sided MIMO antenna with an improved isolation for UWB applications," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 82, 7-13, 2017.
17. Raikumar, S., A. Amala, and K. T. Selvan, "Isolation improvement of UWB MIMO antenna utilizing molecule fractal structure," IET Electronic Lett., Vol. 10, 576-579, 2019.
18. Iqbal, A., O. A. Saraereh, A. W. Ahmad, and S. Bashir, "Mutual coupling reduction using F shaped stubs in UWB-MIMO antenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 2755-2759, 2017.
19. Khan, M. S., A. Iftikhar, S. Asif, A. D. Capobianco, and B. D. Braaten, "A compact four elements UWB MIMO antenna with on-demand WLAN rejection," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 270-276, 2016.
20. Medkour, H., S. lakrit, S. Das, B. T. P. Madhav, and K. VasuBabu, "A compact printed UWB MIMO antenna with electronically reconfigurable WLAN band-notched characteristics," Journal of Circuits, Systems and Computers, 2250045, 2021.
21. Khan, M. S., N. Aftab, A. Iftikhar, R. M. Shubair, S. Asif, and F. Adnan, "A WLAN band-notched compact four element UWB MIMO antenna," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, 1-10, 2020.
22. Babu, K. V. and B. Anuradha, "Design of inverted L-shape & ohm symbol inserted MIMO antenna to reduce the mutual coupling," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 105, 42-53, 2019.
23. Saxena, G., Y. K. Awasthi, and P. Jain, "Design of metasurface absorber for low RCS and high isolation MIMO antenna for radio location & navigation," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 133, 153680, 2021.
24. Han, A. A., S. A. Naqvi, M. S. Khan, and B. Ijaz, "Quad port miniaturized MIMO antenna for UWB 11 GHz and 13 GHz frequency bands," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 131, 153618, 2021.
25. Jabire, A. H., H.-X. Zheng, A. Abdu, and Z. Song, "Characteristic mode analysis and design of wide band MIMO antenna consisting of metamaterial unit cell," Electronics, Vol. 8, 68, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/electronics8010068.
26. Suresh, A. C. and T. S. Reddy, "High isolation with fork-shaped stub in compact UWB-MIMO antenna using CMA," 2021 International Conference on Recent Trends on Electronics, Information, Communication & Technology (RTEICT), 505-511, 2021, doi: 10.1109/RTEICT52294.2021.9574028.
27. Singh, H. V. and S. Tripathi, "Compact UWB MIMO antenna with Fork-shaped stub with vias based coupling current steering (VBCCS) to enhance isolation using CMA," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 129, 153550, 2021.
28. Barzegari, S., K. Forooraghi, and B. Abbasi Arand, "Design of circularly polarized planar leaky-wave antenna using characteristic mode analysis," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 15, No. 9, 1086-1099, 2021.
29. Kumar, N. and R. Khanna, "A compact multi-band multi-input multi-output antenna for 4G/5G and IoT devices using theory of characteristic modes," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 1, e22012, 2020.
30. Sultan, K. S. and H. H. Abdullah, "Planar UWB MIMO-diversity antenna with dual notch characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 93, 119-129, 2019.
31. Balaji, V. R., T. Addepalli, A. Desai, A. Nella, and T. K. Nguyen, "An inverted L-strip loaded ground with hollow semi-hexagonal four-element polarization diversity UWB-MIMO antenna," Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies,, Vol. 33, No. 1, e4381, 2022.
32. Farahani, M. and S. Mohammad-Ali-Nezhad, "A novel UWB printed monopole MIMO antenna with non-uniform transmission line using nonlinear model predictive," Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal, Vol. 23, No. 6, 1385-1396, 2020.