Small footprint of the multi-input-multi-output (MIMO) antenna is extremely desirable for space-constrained ultra-wideband (UWB) communication systems. Compact MIMO antennas with improved isolation and wide operating bandwidth are the significant subject of the work. Therefore, this paper presents a miniaturized four-port polarization diversity UWB-MIMO antenna operating in the frequency range of 3.1-12 GHz with band-notched characteristics. Four octagon-shaped radiating elements with a common ground are placed orthogonal to each other for good isolation. Band rejection features between 4.5 and 5.5 GHz were achieved by including an open-ended slot at the upper edge of the octagon-shaped antenna. The MIMO antenna was etched on a low-cost 32.3 x 32.3 x 0.8 mm3 FR-4 dielectric substrate. The antenna radiates in a quasi-omnidirectional pattern on the H-plane throughout the operational bandwidth, with higher than 15 dB isolation, low envelope correlation, and high antenna gain. As a result, this antenna is well suited for diverse applications and portable devices.
2. Kaiser, T., F. Zheng, and E. Dimitrov, "An overview of ultra-wide-band systems with MIMO," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 285-312, 2009.
3. Jiang, C. and L. J. Cimini, "Antenna selection for energy-efficient MIMO transmission," IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, Vol. 1, No. 6, 577-580, 2012.
4. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable devices in UWB applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 8, 4257-4264, 2013.
5. Bassi, M., M. Caruso, M. S. Khan, A. Bevilacqua, A. D. Capobianco, and A. Neviani, "An integrated microwave imaging radar with planar antennas for breast cancer detection," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 5, 2108-2118, 2013.
6. Capobianco, A. D., M. S. Khan, M. Caruso, and A. Bevilacqua, "3-18 GHz compact planar antenna for short-range radar imaging," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 14, 1016-1018, 2014.
7. Zhang, S. and G. F. Pedersen, "Mutual coupling reduction for UWB MIMO antennas with a wideband neutralization line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 21, 166-169, 2015.
8. Luo, C. M., J. S. Hong, and L. L. Zhong, "Isolation enhancement of a very compact UWB-MIMO slot antenna with two defected ground structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1766-1769, 2015.
9. Tao, J. and Q. Feng, "Compact ultra-wideband MIMO antenna with half-slot structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 792-795, 2016.
10. Rao, J. C. and N. V. Rao, "CPW-fed compact ultra wideband MIMO antenna for portable devices," Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 9, No. 17, 1-9, 2016.
11. Li, H., J. Liu, Z. Wang, and Y. Z. Yin, "Compact 1 x 2 and 2 x 2 MIMO antennas with enhanced isolation for ultra-wideband application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 71, 41-49, 2017.
12. Dabas, T., D. Gangwar, B. K. Kanaujia, and A. K. Gautam, "Mutual coupling reduction between elements of UWB MIMO antenna using small size uniplanar EBG exhibiting multiple stop bands," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 93, 32-38, 2018.
13. Biswas, A. K. and U. Chakraborty, "Compact wearable MIMO antenna with improved port isolation for ultra-wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 13, No. 4, 498-504, 2019.
14. Parchin, N. O., Y. I. A. Al-Yasir, H. J. Basherlou, and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "A closely spaced dual-band MIMO patch antenna with reduced mutual coupling for 4G/5G applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 101, 71-80, 2020.
15. Adam, I., H. A. Rahim, M. N. M. Yasin, and M. N. M. Nasrol, "Mutual coupling suppression in wearable MIMO antenna for on/off-body WBAN applications," Journal of Physics Conference Series, Vol. 1755, No. 1, 2021.
16. Mao, C.-X. and Q.-X. Chu, "Compact coradiator UWB-MIMO antenna with dual polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 9, 4474-4480, 2014.
17. Tripathi, S., A. Mohan, and S. Yadav, "A compact Koch Fractal UWB MIMO antenna with WLAN band-rejection," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1565-1568, 2015.
18. Chithradevi, R. and B. S. Sreeja, "A compat UWB MIMO antenna with high isolation and low correlation for wireless applications," 2017 IEEE International Conference on Antenna Innovations & Modern Technologies for Ground, Aircraft and Satellite Applications (iAIM), 1-4, 2017.
19. Jehangir, S. S. and M. S. Sharawi, "A miniaturized UWB biplanar yagi-like MIMO antenna system," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2320-2323, 2017.
20. Ali, W. A. E. and A. A. Ibrahim, "A compact double-sided MIMO antenna with an improved isolation for UWB applications," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 82, 7-13, 2017.
21. Radhi, A. H., R. Nilavalan, Y. Wang, H. Al-Raweshidy, A. Eltokhy, and N. A. Aziz, "Mutual coupling reduction with a wideband planar decoupling structure for UWB-MIMO antennas," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 10, No. 10, 1143-1154, 2018.
22. Jaglan, N., G. S. Dev, T. Ekta, K. Dinesh, K. B. Kumar, and S. Shweta, "Triple band notched mushroom and uniplanar EBG structures based UWB MIMO/Diversity antenna with enhanced wide band isolation," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 90, 36-44, 2018.
23. Mathur, R. and S. Dwari, "Compact 4-port UWB-MIMO slot antenna with dual polarization and low correlation for spatial diversity application," Frequenz, Vol. 72, No. 11, 503-509, 2018.
24. Tiwari, R. N., P. Singh, B. K. Kanaujia, and K. Srivastava, "Neutralization technique based two and four port high isolation MIMO antennas for UWB communication," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 110, 1-10, 2019.
25. Khan, M. S., A. Iftikhar, R. M. Shubair, A.-D. Capobianco, S. M. Asif, B. D. Braaten, and D. E. Anagnostou, "Ultra-compact reconfigurable band reject UWB MIMO antenna with four radiators," Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 4, 1-9, 2020.
26. Khan, M. S., S. A. Naqvi, A. Iftikhar, S. M. Asif, A. Fida, and R. M. Shubair, "A WLAN band-notched compact four element UWB MIMO antenna," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, e22282, 2020.
27. Khan, A. A., S. A. Naqvi, M. S. Khan, and B. Ijaz, "Quad port miniaturized MIMO antenna for UWB 11 GHz and 13 GHz frequency bands," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 131, 1-7, 2021.
28. Chandel, R., A. K. Gautam, and K. Rambabu, "Tapered fed compact UWB MIMO-diversity antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 4, 1677-1684, 2018.
29. Sharawi, M. S., "Current misuses and future prospects for printed multiple-input, multiple-output antenna systems," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 59, No. 2, 162-170, 2017.
30. Al-Gertany Kareem, Q. H., M. J. Farhan, and A. K. Jassim, "Design and analysis a frequency reconfigurable octagonal ring-shaped quad-port dual-band antenna based on a varactor diode," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 116, 235-248, 2021.
31. Manteghi, M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Multiport characteristics of a wide-band cavity backed annular patch antenna for multipolarization operations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 466-474, 2005.
32. Addepalli, T. and V. R. Anitha, "Design and parametric analysis of Hexagonal shaped mimo patch antenna for S-band, WLAN, UWB and X-band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 97, 227-240, 2019.