In this study, a Vernier effect based temperature sensor with ultra-sensitivity and high-resolution detection is presented. The structure of the proposed temperature sensor is based on dual cascaded Fabry-Perot interferometers (FPIs), which consists of polymer and air cavity FPIs. The polymer cavity works as the sensing part, whereas the air cavity works as the reference part. The slight difference between the Free Spectral Range (FSR) of the sensing and the reference FPIs can establish the Vernier effect, which improves the sensitivity of the cascaded FPIs structure compared to the single FPI structure. The experimental results show that the proposed structure can provide the ultra-high temperature sensitivity of 67.69 nm/˚C that is 20 times higher than the single FPI, which is 3.36 nm/˚C in the testing range of 26˚C-28˚C. In addition, the structure is simple to fabricate, compact, inexpensive, along with ultra-sensitivity and high-resolution. Therefore, the proposed sensor is a suitable choice for the applications demanding high resolution temperature detection in different fields of engineering and science.
2. Cheng, P., et al., "Refractive index interferometer based on SMF-MMF-TMCF-SMF structure with low temperature sensitivity," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 57, 102233, 2020.
3. Mumtaz, F., Y. Dai, and M. A. Ashraf, "Inter-cross de-modulated refractive index and temperature sensor by an etched Multi-core fiber of a MZI structure," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 38, No. 24, 6948-6953, 2020.
4. Mumtaz, F., H. Lin, Y. Dai, W. Hu, M. A. Ashraf, L. G. Abbas, S. Cheng, and P. Cheng, "Simultaneous measurement of temperature and strain using multi-core fiber within-line cascaded symmetrical ellipsoidal fiber balls-based Mach-Zehnder interferometer structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 112, 21-34, 2021.
5. Frazao, O., et al., "Simultaneous measurement of multiparameters using a Sagnac interferometer with polarization maintaining side-hole fiber," Applied Optics, Vol. 47, No. 27, 4841-4848, 2008.
6. Bai, Y., Y. Miao, H. Zhang, and J. Yao, "Simultaneous measurement of temperature and relative humidity based on a microber sagnac loop and MoS2," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 38, No. 4, 840-845, 2020.
7. Cao, Y., H. Zhang, Y. Miao, Z. Ma, and B. Li, "Simultaneous measurement of temperature and refractive index based on microber Bragg Grating in Sagnac loop," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 47, 147-151, 2019.
8. Wang, G., Y. Lu, X. Yang, L. Duan, and J. Yao, "Square-lattice alcohol-lled photonic crystal fiber temperature sensor based on a Sagnac interferometer," Applied Optics, Vol. 58, No. 8, 2132-2136, 2019.
9. Liu, Y., et al., "Fabrication of dual-parameter fiber-optic sensor by cascading FBG with FPI for simultaneous measurement of temperature and gas pressure," Optics Communications, Vol. 443, 166-171, 2019.
10. Liu, Y., et al., "Hollow-core fiber-based all-fiber FPI sensor for simultaneous measurement of air pressure and temperature," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 23, 11236-11241, 2019.
11. Nan, J., D. Zhang, X. Wen, M. Li, H. Lv, and K. Su, "Elimination of thermal strain interference in mechanical strain measurement at high temperature using an EFPI-RFBG hybrid sensor with unlimited cavity length," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 20, No. 10, 5270-5276, 2020.
12. Abbas, L. G., F. Mumtaz, Y. Dai, A. Zhou, W. Hu, and M. A. Ashraf, "Highly sensitive polymer based Fabry-Perot interferometer for temperature sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 97, 87-94, 2021.
13. Del Carmen Alonso-Murias, M., J. S. Velazquez-Gonzalez, and D. Monzon-Hernandez, "SPR fiber tip sensor for the simultaneous measurement of refractive index, temperature, and level of a liquid," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 37, No. 18, 4808-4814, 2019.
14. Han, B., et al., "Simultaneous measurement of temperature and strain based on dual SPR effect in PCF," Optics Laser Technology, Vol. 113, 46-51, 2019.
15. Velazquez-Gonzalez, J. S., D. Monzon-Hernandez, D. Moreno-Hernandez, F. Martnez-Pinon, and I. Hernandez-Romano, "Simultaneous measurement of refractive index and temperature using a SPR-based fiber optic sensor," Sensors Actuators B: Chemical, Vol. 242, 912-920, 2017.
16. Zhang, R., S. Pu, and X. Li, "Gold-film-thickness dependent SPR refractive index and temperature sensing with hetero-core optical fiber structure," Sensors, Vol. 19, No. 19, 4345, 2019.
17. Lu, Y., M. Wang, C. Hao, Z. Zhao, and J. Yao, "Temperature sensing using photonic crystal fiber filled with silver nanowires and liquid," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 6, No. 3, 1-7, 2014.
18. Xu, H., M. Hafezi, J. Fan, J. M. Taylor, G. F. Strouse, and Z. Ahmed, "Ultra-sensitive chip- based photonic temperature sensor using ring resonator structures," Optics Express, Vol. 22, No. 3, 3098-3104, 2014.
19. Yu, J., S. Xu, Y. Jiang, H. Chen, and W. Feng, "Multi-parameter sensor based on the fiber Bragg grating combined with triangular-lattice four-core fiber," Optik, Vol. 208, 164094, 2020.
20. Yan, L. S., A. Yi, W. Pan, and B. Luo, "A simple demodulation method for FBG temperature sensors using a narrow band wavelength tunable DFB laser," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 22, No. 18, 1391-1393, 2010.
21. Rao, Y.-J., "In-fibre Bragg grating sensors," Measurement Science Technology, Vol. 8, No. 4, 355, 1997.
22. Zheng, Z.-M., Y.-S. Yu, X.-Y. Zhang, Q. Guo, and H.-B. Sun, "Femtosecond laser inscribed small- period long-period fiber gratings with dual-parameter sensing," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 18, No. 3, 1100-1103, 2017.
23. Cao, X., D. Tian, Y. Liu, L. Zhang, and T. Wang, "Sensing characteristics of helical long-period gratings written in the double-clad fiber by CO2 laser," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 18, No. 18, 7481-7485, 2018.
24. Zhang, A. P., L.-Y. Shao, J.-F. Ding, and S. L. He, "Sandwiched long-period gratings for simultaneous measurement of refractive index and temperature," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 17, No. 11, 2397-2399, 2005.
25. Zhou, J., et al., "Simultaneous measurement of strain and temperature by employing fiber Mach-Zehnder interferometer," Optics Express, Vol. 22, No. 2, 1680-1686, 2014.
26. Jiang, L., J. Yang, S. Wang, B. Li, and M. Wang, "Fiber Mach-Zehnder interferometer based on microcavities for high-temperature sensing with high sensitivity," Optics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 19, 3753-3755, 2011.
27. Alawsi, S. M. K. and M. A. Jabbar, "Refractive index and temperature sensor using HC-1550 infiltrating by different liquid crystal," Optics Photonics Journal, Vol. 8, No. 3, 29-39, 2018.
28. Zhou, Y., et al., "Simultaneous measurement of curvature and temperature based on PCF-based interferometer and fiber Bragg grating," Optics Communications, Vol. 284, No. 24, 5669-5672, 2011.
29. Wang, F., K. Pang, T. Ma, X. Wang, Y. J. O. Liu, and L. Technology, "Folded-tapered multimode- no-core fiber sensor for simultaneous measurement of refractive index and temperature," Optics Laser Technology, Vol. 130, 106333, 2020.
30. Zhang, P., et al., "Simplied hollow-core fiber-based Fabry-Perot interferometer with modified Vernier effect for highly sensitive high-temperature measurement," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 7, No. 1, 1-10, 2015.
31. Tian, J., Y. Jiao, S. Ji, X. Dong, and Y. Yao, "Cascaded-cavity Fabry-Perot interferometer for simultaneous measurement of temperature and strain with cross-sensitivity compensation," Optics Communications, Vol. 412, 121-126, 2018.
32. Shao, L.-Y., et al., "Sensitivity-enhanced temperature sensor with cascaded fiber optic Sagnac interferometers based on Vernier-effect," Optics Communications, Vol. 336, 73-76, 2015.
33. Wang, G., B. Liao, Y. Cao, X. Feng, B.-O. Guan, and J. Yao, "Microwave photonic interrogation of a high-speed and high-resolution temperature sensor based on cascaded fiber-optic sagnac loops," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. PP, No. 99, 1-1, 2020.
34. Yang, Y., et al., "Sensitivity-enhanced temperature sensor by hybrid cascaded configuration of a Sagnac loop and a FP cavity," Optics Express, Vol. 25, No. 26, 33290-33296, 2017.
35. Wang, Z., L. Huang, C. Liu, H.Wang, S. Sun, and D. Yang, "Sensitivity-enhanced fiber temperature sensor based on vernier effect and dual in-line mach-zehnder interferometers," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 18, 7983-7987, 2019.
36. Liao, H., et al., "Sensitivity amplication of fiber-optic in-line Mach-Zehnder Interferometer sensors with modified Vernier-effect," Optics Express, Vol. 25, No. 22, 26898-26909, 2017.
37. Abbas, L. G. and H. Li, "Temperature sensing by hybrid interferometer based on Vernier like effect," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 64, 102538, 2021.
38. Tan, X., Y. Geng, X. Li, Y. Deng, Z. Yin, and R. Gao, "UV-curable polymer microhemisphere-based fiber-optic Fabry-Perot interferometer for simultaneous measurement of refractive index and temperature," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 6, No. 4, 1-8, 2014.
39. Cao, K., Y. Liu, and S. Qu, "Compact fiber biocompatible temperature sensor based on a hermetically-sealed liquid-lling structure," Optics Express, Vol. 25, No. 24, 29597-29604, 2017.