This paper presents a novel unique microstrip fractal patch antenna with a COVID-19 shape designed for wireless applications. The COVID-19 antenna is a compact, miniature size, multiband, low weight, and low-cost patch antenna; the demonstrated patch antenna, simulated using the HFSS software program, consists of a circular printed patch with a radius of 0.4 cm surrounded by 5 pairs of crowns. The antenna is implemented on a double-sided copper plate with an FR4-epoxy substrate of 1x1 cm2 area and 1.6 mm thickness. This small patch operates and resonates on two frequencies 7.5 GHz and 17 GHz within C and Ku bands, respectively. The simulated and measured gains were respectively 0.8 dB and 0.2 dB at the lower frequency and 2.21 dB and 2 dB at the higher frequency. A coaxial probe feeding method is used in the simulation, and printed prototypes showed excellent consistency between measured and simulated resonance frequencies.
2. Jahani, S., J. Rashed-Mohassel, and M. Shahabadi, "Miniaturization of circular patch antennas using MNG metamaterials," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1194-1196, 2013.
3. Aziz, C. H. and A. M. Al-Hindawiia, "Electromagnetic effect of rectangular spiral metamaterial on microstrip patch antenna performance," Journal of Modeling and Simulation of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2, No. 1, 24-29, 2016.
4. Kula, J., D. Psychoudakis, W. J. Liao, C. C. Chen, J. Volakis, and J. Halloran, "Patch antenna miniaturization using recently available ceramic substrates," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 48, No. 6, 13-20, 2006.
5. Musselman, R. L. and J. L. Vedral, "Patch antenna size-reduction parametric study," ACES Journal, Vol. 34, No. 2, 288-292, February 2019.
6. Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen, X. Qing, "Dual-band circularly polarized S-shaped slotted patch antenna with a small frequency-ratio," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 6, 2112-2115, June 2010.
7. Jang, H. A., D. O. Kim, and C. Y. Kim, "Size reduction of patch antenna array using CSRRs loaded ground plane," PIERS Proceedings, 1487-1489, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, March 27-30, 2012.
8. Goodwill, K., V. N. Saxena, and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Dual-band CSSRR inspired microstrip patch antenna for enhancing antenna performance and size reduction," 2013 International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication (ICSC), 495-497, 2013.
9. He, M., X. Ye, P. Zhou, G. Zhao, C. Zhang, and H. Sun, "A small-size dual-feed broadband circularly polarized U-slot patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 898-901, 2015.
10. Dwairi, M. O., M. S. Soliman, A. A. Alahmadi, I. M. A. Sulayman, and S. H. Almalki, "Design regular fractal slot-antennas for ultra-wideband applications," 2017 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium --- Spring (PIERS), 3875-3880, St. Petersburg, Russia, May 22-25, 2017.
11. Jena, M. R., B. B. Mangaraj, and R. Pathak, "Design of a novel Sierpinski fractal antenna arrays based on circular shapes with low side lobes for 3G applications," American Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 4, 137-140, 2014.
12. Chowdhury, B. B., R. De, and M. Bhowmik, "A novel design for circular patch fractal antenna for multiband applications," 2016 3rd International Conference on Signal Processing and Integrated Networks (SPIN), 449-453, 2016.
13. Kumar, A. and A. P. Singh, "Design of micro-machined modified Sierpinski gasket fractal antenna for satellite communications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer- Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 8, e21786, 2019.
14. Prajapati, P. R., G. Murthy, A. Patnaik, and M. Kartikeyan, "Design and testing of a compact circularly polarised microstrip antenna with the fractal defected ground structure for L-band application," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 9, 1179-1185, 2015.
15. Khanna, G. and P. N. Sharma, "Fractal antenna geometries: A review," International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 153, No. 7, 29-32, November 2016.
16. Madi, M. A., M. Al-Husseini, A. H. Ramadan, M. Mervat, and A. El-Hajj, "A reconfigurable cedar-shaped microstrip antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 25, 209-221, 2012.
17. Abraham, J., K. K. Aju John, and T. Mathew, "Microstrip antenna based on Durer pentagon fractal patch for multiband wireless applications," International Conference on Information Communication and Embedded Systems (ICICES2014), 1-5, 2014.
18. Kaushal, D. and T. Shanmuganantham, "Parametric enhancement of a novel microstrip patch antenna using circular SRR loaded fractal geometry," Alexandria Engineering Journal, 2551-2557, 2018.
19. Gupta, M. and V. Mathur, "Wheel shaped modified fractal antenna realization for wireless communications," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 257-266, 2017.
20. Bisht, N. and P. Kumar, "A dual band fractal circular microstrip patch antenna for C-band applications," PIERS Proceedings, 852-855, Suzhou, China, September 12-16, 2011.
21. Maria, N., M. A. Madi, and K. Y. Kabalan, "Miniaturized inward fractal antenna for breast cancer detection," Proc. of the International Conference on Electrical, Computer and Energy Technologies (ICECET), December 9-10, 2021.
22. Deepak, G. and Sh. Mishr, "Smart home networkingz," Jaipur International Journal of Converging Technologies and Management (IJCTM), Vol. 2, No. 2, 2016.
23. Kumar, R., G. S. Saini, and D. Singh, "Compact tri-band patch antenna for Ku band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 103, 45-58, 2020.
24. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Edition, John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York, 2005.
25. Samsuzzaman, M., M. T. Islam, N. Misran, and M. M. Ali, "Dual band X shape microstrip patch antenna for satellite applications," Procedia Technology, Vol. 11, 1223-1228, 2013.
26. Vijayvergiya, P. L. and R. K. Panigrahi, "Single-layer single-patch dual band antenna for satellite applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 5, 664-669, 2016.
27. Saini, G. S. and R. Kumar, "A low profile patch antenna for Ku-band applications," International Journal of Electronics Letters, 1-11, 2019.