In this work, a planar monopole ultrawideband (UWB) antenna with continuously tunable notch band feature is presented. The designed antenna, which has a compact size of 36.6×26×1 mm3, is fabricated on a low-cost FR4 substrate and comprises a circular radiating patch with four rectangular defects, a microstrip feed line, and a partial ground plane to cover the UWB frequency band extending from 3.1 GHz to 12.5 GHz. A semi-elliptical slot is etched out from the circular patch to create the first notch band at 3.6 GHz (WiMAX) in the UWB spectrum. The second notch band is created by embedding an annular slot on the circular patch loaded with a varactor diode to continuously tune the notch frequency from 5.6 GHz to 7.7 GHz in upper WLAN and X-band. To investigate the implementation feasibility of the designed UWB antenna, a prototype is fabricated and experimentally tested.
2. Verbiest, J. R. and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Low-cost small-size tapered slot antenna for lower band UWB applications," Electron Lett., Vol. 42, 670-671, 2006.
3. Zheng, Z. A. and Q. X. Chu, "CPW-fed ultra-wideband antenna with compact size," Electron Lett., Vol. 45, 593-594, 2009.
4., , First report and order on ultra-wideband technology, FCC, Washington, DC, USA, 2002.
5. Garg, R. K., M. V. D. Nair, S. Singhal, and R. Tomar, "A new type of compact ultra-wideband planar fractal antenna with WLAN band rejection," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 62, 2537-2545, 2020.
6. Kumar, G., D. Singh, and R. Kumar, "A planar CPW fed UWB antenna with dual rectangular notch band characteristics incorporating U-slot, SRRs, and EBGs," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 31, 22676(1-16), 2021.
7. Rehman, S. U. and M. A. S. Alkanhal, "Design and system characterization of ultrawideband antennas with multiple band rejection," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 17988-17996, 2017.
8. Jeong, M. J., N. Hussain, H. Bong, J. W. Park, K. S. Shin, S. W. Lee, S. Y. Rhee, and N. Kim, "Ultrawideband microstrip patch antenna with quadruple band notch characteristic using negative permittivity unit cells," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 62, 816-824, 2019.
9. Mewaraa, H. S., J. K. Deegwalb, and M. M. Sharma, "A slot resonators based quintuple band- notched Y-shaped planar monopole ultra-wideband antenna," AEUE-Int. J. Electron Commun., Vol. 83, 470-478, 2018.
10. Luo, S., Y. Chen, D. Wang, Y. Liao, and Y. Li, "A monopole UWB antenna with sextuple band- notched based on SRRs and U-shaped parasitic strips," AEUE-Int. J. Electron Commun., Vol. 120, 153206(1-9), 2020.
11. Alhegazi, A., Z. Zakaria, N. A. Shairi, M. I. Ibrahim, and S. Ahmed, "A novel reconfigurable UWB ltering-antenna with dual sharp band notches using double split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 79, 185-198, 2017.
12. Orugu, R. and N. Moses, "Triangular fractal loaded reconfigurable antenna with notch band characteristics," International Journal of Numerical Modeling Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, Vol. 34, 2806(1-11), 2020.
13. Nejati Jahromi, M., M. Nagshvarian Jahromi, and M. U. Rahman, "A new compact planar antenna for switching between UWB, narrow bandand UWB with tunable-notch behaviors for UWB and WLAN applications," ACES Journal, Vol. 33, 400-406, 2018.
14. Tang, M., H.Wang, T. Deng, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Compact planar ultrawideband antennas with continuously tunable, independent band-notched filters," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, 3292-3301, 2016.
15. Horestani, A. K., Z. Shaterian, J. Naqui, F. Martin, and C. Fumeaux, "Reconfigurable and tunable S-shaped split ring resonators and application in band-notched UWB antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, 3766-3776, 2016.
16. Kingsly, S., D. Thangarasu, M. Kanagasabai, M. G. N. Alsath, S. K. Palaniswamy, T. R. Rao, S. Subbaraj, Y. P. Selvam, P. Sambandam, and G. Ganesan, "Tunable band notched high selective UWB ltering monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, 5658-5661, 2019.
17. Shome, P. P., T. Khan, and R. H. Laskar, "CSRR-loaded UWB monopole antenna with electronically tunable triple band-notch characteristics for cognitive radio applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 62, 2919-2929, 2020.
18., , CST Microwave Studio 2019, CST Gmbh (http://www.cst.com) (2019).
19., , Skyworks Data Sheet, Skyworks Solutions, Inc., Available at www.skyworksinc.com.
20. Xi, L., H. Zhai, Y. Zang, and L. Li, "A novel dual-band tunable band-notched antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 3014-3018, 2017.
21. Ali, W. A. E. and A. A. Ibrahim, "Tunable band-notched UWB antenna from WLAN to WiMAX with openloop resonators using lumped capacitors," ACES Journal, Vol. 33, 603-609, 2018.
22. Trimukhe, M. A. and B. G. Hogade, "Compact UWB antenna with tunable band-notch characteristics using varactor diode," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 97, 15-28, 2019.
23. Rai, V. K. and M. Kumar, "Tunable inverted U-shaped dual band notch monopole antenna for ultrawideband applications," IETE Journal of Research, 2021.